The San Francisco Chronicle’s flagship news podcast, Fifth & Mission, is looking for a full-time podcast producer to join the team and help drive the direction of the show.
Every weekday morning, Fifth & Mission provides context and insight into the biggest stories of the day in San Francisco and the Bay Area. Through sit-down interviews with Chronicle journalists and community members and narrative episodes with original reporting, Fifth & Mission helps Bay Area residents understand the region’s most fascinating stories and the issues that impact their lives.
The Fifth & Mission Podcast Producer will be integral to creating daily episodes and shaping the long-term planning and strategy for the podcast. The producer will work hand-in-hand with Host/Producer Cecilia Lei and Co-Host/Director of News Demian Bulwa on the daily production of the show, helping with story selection, interview prep, recording, scripting and editing. They will also work on the show’s larger strategy, contributing to social posting, reviewing episode analytics and looking for ways Fifth & Mission can connect to and grow its audience.
The producer will be part of the podcast’s creative engine and brain trust. That will mean working on in-depth narrative episodes, discussing upcoming stories with reporters and editors, doing occasional field reporting and continuously thinking about ways to make the show more impactful and to surprise and delight our listeners.
The Fifth & Mission Podcast Producer will work alongside host/producer Cecilia Lei on the day-to-day production of the podcast, and work closely with Executive Producer King Kaufman and Editor for Emerging Product & Audio Sarah Feldberg to help shape the direction of the show and monitor its progress.
- Manage editorial calendar and production schedule
- Help with daily selection for episode stories and topics, as well as advanced planning
- Pitch, report and produce sound-rich episodes and original narrative podcasts
- Research, book and interview guests
- Prep host for interviews (research topics, write questions, compile background research, pre-interview when necessary)
- Manage all aspects of episode production, including remote and in-studio interview recordings
- Work with host and supervising editors to write and edit scripts
- Field reporting, gather sound and source audio clips
- Mix, edit and score episodes
- Be the main liaison between the newsroom and the show
- Create digital podcast articles for SFChronicle.com, and assist in writing and posting social media content to promote each episode
The Right Candidate Will Have::
- At least two years of experience in podcasting or radio
- Hands-on audio editing skills
- Demonstrated reporting experience, including generating story/episode ideas; conducting interviews; script writing and editing; and fact-checking
- Strong news judgment, creativity, and meticulousness.
- Audio storytelling skills
- Familiarity with, and affinity for, San Francisco and the Bay Area, its communities, its news, and its history
- Ability to collaborate and solve problems quickly in a deadline-driven environment
- Hard-working, flexible, and a team player