MSNBC Digital is looking for a weekend editor to join its platforms team in New York City. The editor will curate MSNBC’s homepage, distribute its best columns, blogs and video to its social channels, and write desktop alerts.
Greater New York City Area
Jun 07, 2022
The ideal candidate will have experience writing headlines and social copy, and an interest in SEO and analytics. They need to be a breaking news junkie who loves to get stories in front of as many eyes as possible. The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in mobile trends and experience programming digital platforms for a news organization. They will know what compels audiences to read stories and watch video on mobile and desktop.
This position requires the ability to make decisions under pressure and to change footing quickly and multitask when news breaks. Working on weekends, you will be part of a small but dedicated crew that is crucial in keeping our highly engaged audiences up to date. Experience and comfort working independently is a must.
The position is full time and based in New York City but candidates from around the country will be considered. It will require working both Saturday and Sundays. This position is represented by the NewsGuild-CWA.
- Curate MSNBC’s homepage and social channels with the best of its columns, blogs and video content.
- Work independently using flawless news judgment to update multiple platforms while juggling many of the tasks below.
- Write and edit headlines, social copy and desktop alerts.
- Monitor real-time analytics to inform story curation and strategy.
- Work with other platforms editors and MSNBC Daily editors to ensure our articles are promoted and distributed in all the right places
- Work with the photo team to best illustrate articles on the homepage and on social.
- 2 or more years working as a homepage editor or social media editor at a digital news organization.
- Experience publishing in a CMS or in social distribution tools such as SocialFlow and True Anthem.
- A broad knowledge of current affairs, including politics, race, social justice, international affairs, pop culture and sports.
- Experience multitasking during breaking news and meeting deadlines.