The Part Time Associate Editor will be primarily responsible for editing and maintenance of ESPN.com's content feeds, mainly including interior content landing pages.
Connecticut, Greater Los Angeles Area
Jul 28, 2023
The Part Time Associate Editor will be primarily responsible for editing and maintenance of ESPN.com's content feeds, mainly including interior content landing pages. On a daily basis, this person will assess content from a variety of sources (includes wire services, partners, ESPN staffers, freelancers, plus interactive elements, social media, audio and video) to determine how it fits into our daily news coverage and programming needs. The editor evaluates all sport page copy and headlines, provides feedback on all art and video, and works to package this content in a manner that is dynamic enough to entice users to delve deeper into the site. Must be an excellent headline writer and able to present and tell stories in a tight space. Must show good judgment in prioritizing all online content for a national audience.
This position is Part Time (29 hours/week) and can be based either in Bristol, CT or Los Angeles, CA.
- The Associate Editor will assess multiple stories on a daily basis. These will include managing an overall style and voice.
- Along with the daily programming roles, the Associate Editor will be involved in short and long-term editorial planning, creating programming strategies specifically tailored to the content and audience consumption patterns.
- Associate Editors manage and track contributions from more than 125 ESPN reporters. Video contributions must be vetted in collaboration with the Digital Video team, and pushed into prominent spots on the site, on social media, and on TV.
- The Associate Editor will work across multiple content and delivery platforms on to develop in-depth projects, feature packages and daily content.
- Minimum one (1) year working in a high-level sports media environment, including previous leadership roles.
- Possess a expert-level knowledge of one or more of NFL, NBA, MLB, College Football and College Basketball, including fantasy and gambling areas. This includes not just on-field expertise, but a knowledge of the cutting-edge thoughts, trends and writers covering the sport.
- Understand and follow closely the latest in fan engagement data and key performance metrics to optimize content creation and distribution to fans.
- Strong understanding and appreciation of news and story play.
- Excellent headline writing skills, an understanding of search engine optimization.
- Work quickly and juggle multiple varied tasks during a typical work day.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in online media content preparation. Applicants must have the ability to work in a rapidly changing online environment and possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Sports takes place on nights, weekends and holidays -- and those shifts will be regular and required.
- Have a background or quickly become competent in HTML.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- A B.S./B.A. degree in communication arts, journalism or new media or equivalent combination of education experience.
Compensation: The pay rate for this role is $36,975 - $56,550. The position can be based in CT or CA.