The Producer role optimizes content to reach audiences and manages multiple digital platforms, including social and native.
A successful candidate must demonstrate strong news judgment and have prior digital or story packaging experience.
They will specialize in finding a wide audience for the region’s stories, photos, videos, graphics and other content. The role works with digital team leadership, editors, reporters and visual journalists to best display content on all digital platforms.
Candidates should demonstrate a strong understanding of audience metrics, SEO and social optimization with the goal of growing audience. The ideal candidate will be a strong collaborator, who can work closely with others. He or she will understand the constantly changing news cycle and the need to be flexible. This role may include early morning, night and/or weekend work.
Typical job duties:
- Interacts with newsrooms across the entire USA TODAY Network to help our best journalism reach the best audience.
- Enhances content with video, galleries, SEO meta-data, hyperlinks and images.
- Optimizes, aggregates and packages assets for digital publication.
- Writes effective digital headlines, briefs, and breaking news alerts that help attract audiences.
- Writes engaging social posts that attract audiences and encourage readers to interact with social content.
- Uses metrics to monitor real-time data, determine traffic patterns and make changes tied to the data. Familiarity with Parse.ly and analytics products a plus.
- Able to capture a trending search opportunity through repackaging of original content or aggregating social reaction to a developing story.
- Provides packaging and presentation across all platforms, including mobile and other social platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Reddit.
- Manages home pages to engage a loyal audience.
- Able to spot and fix issues related to grammar, spelling, punctuation and style. Notifies newsroom editors if there are content issues.
- Manages workflow to meet digital deadlines.
- Stays calm under pressure and throughout big news events.
- Provides great customer service, working collaboratively to find solutions.
- The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor's in a related field such as communications or media or the equivalent in experience.
- 1-3 years of experience working in the news industry
- Previous experience working on social media, video editing and/or search engine optimization in a competitive news environment.
- Knowledge of AP style
- Strong news judgment
- SEO knowledge
- Advanced headline-writing skills
- Excellent communication skills