Telemundo Sacramento and Fresno KCSO/KNSO are looking for a News Director with strong news judgment and the ability to lead and inspire a highly talented duopoly news staff to reach beyond established goals and who will perform these functions within the context of Company objectives, policies, and procedures.
Telemundo Sacramento and Fresno KCSO/KNSO are looking for a News Director with strong news judgment and the ability to lead and inspire a highly talented duopoly news staff to reach beyond established goals and who will perform these functions within the context of Company objectives, policies, and procedures. This position will report directly to the General Manager and President.
- Manage day-to-day coverage, major events, and breaking news.
- Implement strategies and tactics to increase ratings and performance in all newscasts
- Provide leadership to News professionals, driving a culture of creativity, excellence, and diversity of thought in a multi-platform environment.
- Train and develop news staff in coordination with other news managers and their work groups
- Participate in the performance appraisal process for assigned editorial staff with the management team.
- Manage script approval process as delegated to individual managers.
- Develop and manage ongoing staff recruitment in all news positions.
- Recruit and manage on-air talent.
- Schedule talent with an understanding of viewership and programming demands.
- Involved with aspects of news content for the station’s websites and other new media outlets.
- Ensure the daily goals and missions are executed, tracked, and communicated to the staff.
- Evaluate workflow efficiencies ensuring editorial resources and expectations are clearly defined and met
- Enforce the newsroom’s policies and procedures, including deadlines and style.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 3 years of experience as a News Director, Assistant News Director, or similar leadership role in a mid to large market.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or equivalent work experience.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) both written and verbal.
- Be available to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as required
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds of equipment at a given time – including camera, lighting kit, cable reel, and portable TVU, LiveU, Dejero units
- Must be willing to work in Sacramento, CA.
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Must be covered by Solutions, NBCU’s Alternative Dispute Resolution Program.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and good driving record.
- Must be willing to work evenings and weekends.
- Must be hands-on
- Must be fluent in Spanish (speak, read & write)
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
- Must be creative, and innovative, have an extremely hands-on managing style, and be able to create and execute a winning strategy across multiple platforms.
- Ability to grow and maintain a culture of respect and collaboration.
- Excellent people management, leadership, and coaching skills.
- Lead change in an inclusive manner.
- Strong Organizational skills and experience in a mid/large market newsroom.
- Proven ability to develop and convey organizational vision to all levels
- Proven ability to multi-task and work well under pressure and can train, coach, and motivate staff members in a positive way to advance their skills and bring out the very best in each of them.
- Ability to multi-task in a dynamic, content-driven, technology-intensive environment
- Energetic and diligent in launching major campaigns.
- Experience preparing departmental budgets, developing strategic plans, and presenting in front of large audiences.
- High level of experience in technical expertise across emerging multi-media platforms.
- Possess strong writing, producing, creative, management, and leadership skills
- Must be a fierce competitor who plays to win
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk, sit, and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand; reach with hands and arms and stop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 50 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Standard hazards found in a traditional office setting.
•Required On-Site: This position is required to be performed full-time from an NBCUniversal designated worksite
Salary range: $100,000 - $125,000