CNN Design is seeking a full-time Motion Designer to complement our creative team. Your primary focus as a motion designer will be supporting live television with innovative, effective animations on time and on brand.
CNN Design is seeking a full-time Motion Designer to complement our creative team. Our team is an industry leader in motion design, animated graphics, still graphics, scenic design, and sound design. Working under the guidance and collaboration of the Art Director and the CNN This Morning design team (and the CNN Design team as a whole), the Motion Designer will create design and animate for show segment packaging and other on-air design/scenic assets. Your primary focus as a motion designer will be supporting live television with innovative, effective animations on time and on brand. You must be able to independently conceive, design and execute within the CNN This Morning show brand, as well as work off creative briefs and/or style frames provided by others under tight deadlines. The ability to collaborate with a team of other designers, producers, and video editors is essential, as is the ability to work without supervision during overnight hours to meet early morning show deadlines. Overall, you succeed when your team succeeds and openly seek feedback and share solutions as well as having a desire to continue to learn and grow your skillset. You are comfortable with change and adapt accordingly with professionalism, empathy, and a positive attitude.
The Motion Designer is proficient in many aspects of television and studio production (ideation, design, animation, presentation, delivery, execution). The position is responsible for delivering timely, engaging, and objective design for the CNN news group’s wide-reaching audience. The position requires working internally with CNN's design team and externally with clients and editorial partners. Proficiency in the full Adobe suite is required with a heavy emphasis on After Effects and Photoshop. Experience with Cinema 4D, Redshift, Unreal Engine, and VizRT is preferred.
*Please note this role is an overnight position, working 12am - 8am ET*
*This is an Atlanta-based position only*
Your Role Accountabilities…
- A thorough understanding of CNN Design standards and Style is appropriately applied and advocated on all projects by using good judgment and leveraging Department Directors for council as needed.
- Concept, design and produce still and animated graphics and other design elements as assigned by production manager, Art Director, or any other department lead
- Ability to take a verbal script and translate complex ideas into easily understandable visual presentations for television.
- Ability to quickly determine graphic needs during breaking news and promptly and accurately, expedite all necessary elements with editorial stakeholders to ensure needs are met.
- Work effectively as a member of the production team. Meet regularly with Creative Directors, Design Directors, Assistant Art Directors, Sr Motion Designers, Production Managers and Producers to coordinate production of design elements as needed. Work with Vizrt team to ensure the consistency of design elements as applicable to projects
- Effectively manage time and resources to deliver projects and collateral assets on time and in working order
- You must have excellent written communication skills as most of your interaction with producers and other team members will be via email, Teams chat, Slack, etc.
- Composite and/or direct compositing sessions as needed, under intense pressure, direction, and time constraints
- Motivate, train, and manage other team members as directed and actively contribute to overall positive and creative atmosphere of the department
- Maintaining a working knowledge of current and emerging technologies. Provide input on new equipment purchases and willingness to beta test new platforms as needed.
Qualifications & Experience...
- 2+ years experience in television or equivalent work experience
- Effective communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Awareness of current events
- Always maintain professional standards, including during breaking news
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Bandwidth to see the big picture while focusing on the smallest details
- Degree from accredited art school with emphasis in graphic design or related field (motion design, visual communications, industrial design, illustration, photography) or equivalent work experience with demonstrated knowledge of graphic design.
- Software: After Effects, Cinema4D, Photoshop, Illustrator, Audition. And Experience with Unreal Engine, X-Particles, AE Expression, and GPU renderer (Octane, RedShift, and Cycles4D) is a plus.
- Flexible schedule: Ability to work extended hours - this role will work an overnight schedule
- Located in the metro Atlanta area
- A Reel is required, be prepared to highlight 2-3 case studies and specific contribution for each.