The manager's primary responsibility is to manage a 24/7 Hair & Makeup Dept. consisting of 20 + stylists/artists, including part-time temps.
The Hair and Make-Up (HMU) Department is an integrated business unit, comprised of artists proficient in both art forms. Hair and make-up are key elements of the branding of the on-air talent for all CNN network shows. The manager's primary responsibility is to manage a 24/7 Hair & Makeup Dept. consisting of 20 + stylists/artists, including part-time temps. Additionally, this position is responsible for recruiting and developing their staff, conflict resolution, artist schedules, overseeing all local hair & makeup appointments and services, booking nationwide freelancers for show teams, managing their local budget and monthly allocations, and overseeing product sourcing, distribution, and inventory. Additionally, they will partner with HMU Director to maintain and evolve the on-air look, which includes overall style recommendations and oversight.
- Must stay abreast of all CNN programming and real-time changes to manage artists schedules to ensure talent and editorial receive the best support and their staffing needs are met whether it's for talent or guests of the show. Work closely with HMU director to ensure all CNN talent needs are taken care of on-site at major news events such as debates, town halls and political conventions.
- Oversee their budget, which includes staffing, service allocations, and supply inventory.
- Responsible for recruiting and retaining top talent by coaching, performance management and encouraging the career growth of 10 + direct reports, creating an opportunity to thrive in both a corporate and creative environment, and be able to navigate many types of personalities and foster successful, professional relationships between talent and artists.
- The manager is responsible for working closely with HMU Director to develop, maintain, and evolve the look for each local on-air talent and ensure that look is consistent. The Specifics for all on-air talent, including product, style and technique for every individual is curated in a reference tool called the Specifics System. The manager must work closely with senior artists to ensure the team is trained on the Specifics of each on-air talent as well as documenting changes in variables in product or technique as talent looks are altered.
- Maintain the highest of cosmetic and department standards and practices to ensure the CNN look remains best in class. It is vital to stay contemporary in hair and makeup products, techniques, and trainings. Sourcing, testing, and implementing products and techniques, and attending industry events and conventions.
- Be willing to roll up sleeves and assist the team in addition to assist in HMU website and app development and implement and update our digital platform which includes content and scheduling capabilities.
- 10 + years’ experience in the hair and/or makeup Industry.
- 5 + years’ experience managing a team of 6+ direct reports.
- Experience with high-profile talent.
- A self-motivated manager, consistently working to improve the caliber of work being delivered by actively giving feedback and utilizing the department tools in place to regularly evaluate consistency and quality.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to effectively build relationships, and consistently provide superior customer service, implementing the department vision and reputation.
- Embodies the standards of personal and professional ethics. Does not tolerate or encourage unethical behavior in others, making thoughtful decisions that are based on fact and not emotion. Takes a proactive and direct approach to resolution.
- Maintain high performance in a high-stress, fast-paced environment.
- Computer skills, particularly in Microsoft 365, as well as a creative and proficient use of modern technology skills.
- Performance reviews and assessments.
The Nice to Haves
- Project management experience.
- Wardrobe consulting experience.
- Esthetician or cosmetologist license, or certified training from an accredited school/salon, or equivalent.