Cirque du Soleil: We are looking for a Lighting Supervisor who will assist the Resident Shows Division (RSD) Lighting and Special Effects Manager in leading the activities of the Lighting and Special Effects team.
The Lighting Supervisor will oversee the crew when installing, maintaining and operating theater power and UPS systems, the network lighting and dimming system, computer consoles, as well as conventional, automated and projection systems and equipment in a safe and consistent manner. The ideal candidate for this position will have a team player mindset and will be flexible.
The Lighting Supervisor will have the opportunity to:
- In collaboration with the Technical Director and Production Department Manager, manage the show’s Lighting and Special Effects department during performances, Artist training, rehearsals and maintenance;
- Complete various HR/administrative tasks for the department, such as, but not limited to, payroll, scheduling, onboarding, hiring, disciplinary actions, etc.;
- Work with Production Department Manager on all budgets and forecasting of departmental needs, including inventory;
- Ensure all departmental-related documentation is completed accurately and in a timely manner. Work with Department Manager to set the strategy and standards for proper documentation and train team on best practices;
- Inspect and maintain equipment, stage and backstage areas;
- Learn, program and run show tracks to ensure the safe and continued operation of the show, as needed;
- Coordinate, determine and oversee support for special projects, including the research, purchasing, construction and installation of new show elements, and other projects that include departmental elements or other needs that may fall within the department’s specialty, as directed; Maintain flexible schedule for such projects;
- Ensure Lighting and Special Effects team has a thorough knowledge of all department’s equipment specific to the production to operate equipment safely. Work with the Production Department Manager and Technical Director to establish and maintain training and backup plans to ensure continuity of performance operations of the department, as necessary;
- Assist other departments when necessary for cross-departmental support;
- Adhere to and promote all Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations as they pertain to the safe operation of all elements related to the show; participate in all required health and safety classes and emergency rescue procedure training;
- Contribute to a safe and positive working environment at all times by adhering to and following all Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group standards, values, policies and regulations pertaining to safety using equipment and established working methods;
- Ensure all Health and Safety training records are current and recorded properly, also assist in crew schedule to allow for training as required by the Technical Director;
- Complete all other job-related duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- At least five years of previous experience working in Lighting and/or Special Effects on a large-scale production or in a similar environment;
- At least three years of previous leadership experience;
- Previous experience as lighting operator, programmer and crew lead;
- Strong knowledge and experience installing and maintaining large-scale theatrical lighting systems and equipment;
- Formal fall protection and overall safety training is an asset;
- Working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook); Knowledge of Microsoft Teams, SharePoint and AutoCAD is an asset;
- Ability to obtain OSHA 30 course completion card;
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken; Ability to clearly and effectively communicate via headset;
- Availability to work varied shifts, including weekends and holidays;
- High School Diploma and or GED required;
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the job including, but not limited to: climbing, crouching, kneeling, standing, lifting, sometimes for extended amounts of time; lifting at least 50lbs unassisted, etc.; Full list of essential functions will be sent in the offer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions;
- Verification of the right to work in the United States for Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group, as demonstrated by completion of the Form I-9 upon hire and the submission of acceptable documentation (as noted on the Form I-9) verifying one’s identity and work authorization;
- Although not a pre-employment condition, this position requires you to be fully vaccinated. If requested, reasonable accommodations will be considered.