Aid the CG Supervisor and Show Runners in the fulfillment of their creative vision by maintaining and improving the FX pipeline.
Greater Los Angeles Area
Aug 31, 2022
- Manage a team of artists that are responsible for creating the repeatable FX rigs, hero FX templates, and documentation to be used by vendor studios as well as any additional R&D requests related to FX.
- Well-versed in the following software: Houdini, Maya, Nuke, Redshift, and ShotGrid.
- Knowledgeable in Nuke compositing methods involving 3d workspace, re-lighting, tracking, and utilizing AOV/Cryptomatte/Deep passes. Knowledgeable in Redshift including render time optimization and setting up AOV/Cryptomatte/Deep renders.
- For each episodic segment, assess storyboard and animatics from an FX standpoint during breakdown meetings to ensure timely delivery within the confines of our production model.
- Prior to episode ship dates, note FX requirements including unique FX scenarios, FX rigs, specific instructions, and direction for each episode in the appropriate tracking software to ensure that vendor studios have initial guidance for the final look of each scene within each episode.
- Instruct vendor studios by making notes, video notes, paint-overs, and other means necessary to correct inconsistencies, mistakes and/or misdirection on “final” shots that are received from vendor studios.
- Communicating with all other CG departments at Nickelodeon Animation Studio to ensure the highest quality work possible.
- Work closely with the CG Supervisor on best practices and methods regarding FX and how they are designed, animated, lit, composited, and rendered.
- Conceive and execute high quality FX into completed shots.
- Design and build expression-based FX rigs.
- Build and maintain software tools to support the FX pipeline.
- Review episodic animation, providing feedback and direction to studios.
- Call out and note all FX issues in the storyboard during the Tech Reviews.
- Attend meetings early in the process to understand the episode’s direction and requirements.
- Attend meetings with vendor studios to address FX technical issues and concerns.
- Review FX designs and breakdown decisions to help direct on new or reused assets.
- Reports directly to show leadership and can make recommendations about other aspects of the production.
- Communicate and translate complex FX technical and aesthetic concepts to producers and team members.
- Translate storyboard and scripted concepts into repeatable actionable FX assets.
- Track and assign episodic FX work with vendors.
- Strategize and solve for scope of FX work while balancing across existing budget and schedule.
- Advanced knowledge of Houdini, Maya, and Nuke.
- Strong ability to communicate through written notes and visual examples.
- Complete understanding of particle systems, instancing, volumetrics, fluids, rigid bodies, soft bodies, dynamics, and cloth.
- Strong knowledge of material, shading, render, and compositing workflows.
- Experience and knowledge working in television animation, feature animation, live action visual effects, or gaming pipelines.
- Experience working within a 3D production pipeline.
- Advanced knowledge in rendering.
- Experience in advanced compositing software and programming in python.