The Juilliard School: The Staff Lead Carpenter constructs, installs, and strikes scenic elements for Juilliard productions and perform required maintenance for scene shop and performance spaces as detailed by their supervisors.
Greater New York City Area
Apr 21, 2022
Responsibilities (essential functions):
- Construct scenery using industry techniques and materials.
- Build and install scenic elements from construction drawings or designer drawings as directed.
- Build and install scenic elements using safe and efficient techniques.
- Participate in strike of scenic elements.
- Implement basic safe rigging techniques for theatrical venues.
- Maintain equipment and facilities in the scene shop and Juilliard venues.
- Assist with the ordering and stocking of materials for shows and shop upkeep
- Accurately track project usage of inventory items.
- Work at elevated heights on ladders, personnel lifts, in the grid, and on temporary structure.
- Follow safety guidelines for all Juilliard facilities and equipment.
- Work weekends and evenings as needed
- Lead projects as directed by the Master Carpenter, ATD and TD
- Lead Load-ins as needed
- Lead Scenery Strikes as needed
- Be on time and prepared for work when scheduled.
- Ability to work independently
- Meet deadlines specified by Shop Managers
- Four years of scenery construction experience.
- Be able to maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- The successful candidate must be able to work well with all levels of employees, be flexible in nature, have sound judgment with an open and collaborative style that encourages teamwork and cooperation beyond the immediate team to the broader organization.
- Ability to work with a wide range of constituencies (staff, students, faculty, and administrators) with diplomacy and tact
- Understanding of the values and mission of The Juilliard School
- Leadership role in a theatrical environment
- Previous experience in the support of opera, drama, and dance productions.
- MiG and TiG welding experience.
This description provides the key responsibilities and requirements of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Other duties may be assigned as needed to meet The Juilliard School’s goals.