TheGrio is looking for an Investigative Reporter to cover stories about Black people across America.
Greater Atlanta Area
Apr 22, 2022
The ideal candidate will develop and research investigative stories, with a particular emphasis on data reporting. We are seeking a creative self-starter to break journalism stories that are accurate, authoritative, and indispensable. Experience in investigative reporting and an ability to work in a breaking news environment is required.
- Consistently write both short term and longer term investigative reports.
- Conceive and execute data-driven investigative reporting projects with creative approaches.
- Ferret out datasets and develop methodologies that elevate stories and trigger impact.
- Find innovative ways to gather data from difficult or uncooperative sources.
- Collaborate with the design team to produce sharp graphics and powerful interactive experiences.
- Coordinate story parameters with Managing Editor.
- Coordinate the licensing and creation of photography, graphics and videos.
- Communicate critical story information with producers and managers.
- Diligently maintains schedules and workflows.
- Pitch daily story ideas.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- At least five years of digital journalism and reporting experience.
- Knowledge and passion for Black culture, history and current affairs.
- Must be willing and able to work flexible hours including weekends, holidays and overnights, under tight deadline pressure, occasionally with little or no warning.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently, be proactive and take initiative.
- Ability to import and clean large data sets.
- Familiarity with intermediate to high-level statistics.
- Proven proficiency with database managers such as MySQL and/or PostgreSQL and fluency in structured query language (SQL).
- Programming experience in Python is a plus.
- Knowledge of mapping software such as ArcView and/or QGIS is a plus.
- Working knowledge of Github, including familiarity with cloning a project, pushing/merging content to an existing repository, and using Git commands the command line is a plus.
- Ability to write about complex topics clearly.
- Excellent writing skills, spelling and grammar.
- Solid news judgment and grasp of journalism best practices.
- Ability to work well with others under strict deadlines.
- Maintain ethical journalism standards.
- Firm understanding of rights and clearances.
- Robust work ethic.
Day, Evening, Overnight