ABC7 Chicago, WLS-TV, is looking for an investigative producer who holds people in powerful positions accountable.
ABC7 Chicago, WLS-TV, is looking for an investigative producer who holds people in powerful positions accountable. Chicago’s top-rated news station has a history of hard-hitting, impactful investigative journalism and is looking to add an investigative producer who will be a leader in innovative and visual storytelling and will be an editorial voice in our investigative unit. The ideal candidate will have knowledge and/or experience in open records, FOIA, data journalism, media law, social and digital production. In addition to investigative pieces, this producer will, from time to time, assist in breaking news, daily news, and special coverage.
- Pitch, develop, write and produce high quality investigative stories for all of ABC7’s platforms
- Contribute to investigative editorial discussions
- Be a resource during breaking news in helping find additional pieces of information as needed
- Research and pitch stories working with the investigative unit, including our investigative producers and reporters.
- Work with photographers, editors, and graphic designers to produce high-quality, visual stories.
- Work with managers and ABC attorneys to ensure coverage is fair, ethical, and legally defensible
- Develop a network of sources allowing our investigative unit to break stories of significance and add context to breaking news coverage
- Minimum of five years' experience in journalism
- Demonstrated ability to enterprise high impact stories and develop contacts
- An understanding of public records requests and laws
- High journalistic integrity and ethical standards
- Strong writing and storytelling skills
- Data journalism experience
- Bachelor degree in journalism or equivalent
- This role is considered on-site, which means the employee will work from a Company designated location on an ongoing basis.
- Reporting Location – Chicago, IL