Cox Media Group is seeking an investigative intern to assist with in-depth research and reporting on a variety of topics, production of investigative news stories for 10 local television stations across the U.S., and creation of long-form investigative content.
Through an internship at one of our premier 33 market-leading television in top DMAs across the country, you can learn, grow, and get hands-on experience alongside best-in-class professionals.
We are here to support early career talent with our paid internship providing unparalleled hands-on experience, networking, and lasting connections. This is your opportunity to share your voice, channel your passion for TV and news, learn from the best, and transform our company and your career. Ready to learn, stretch and grow? The future starts with you. Apply today!
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
CMG’s hands-on internship program is designed to provide early career candidates with the opportunity to engage with top professionals an enhance their media and broadcast knowledge through hands-on experience. Our interns will work closely with producers, anchors, and reporters both in-house and out in the field and may also participate in special projects identified by the market and news/content leaders.
Investigative interns assist with in-depth research and reporting on a variety of topics, production of investigative news stories for 10 local television stations across the U.S., and creation of long-form investigative content. Our talented interns will help producers research and write stories for daily broadcasts, edit video using current editing software, and create and post content on social media platforms.
- Shadow various team members within the newsroom to gain a better understanding of newsroom operations.
- Conduct research on news topics.
- Contact interview sources and guests, as needed.
- Create engaging content for all platforms, broadcast, digital, and social.
- Attend editorial meetings and support the generation of show ideas.
- Assist as needed in the newsroom.
- Participate in special projects and potentially present insights and/or recommendations to market leaders.
What We Look For
WHAT YOU WILL BRING:
- Candidate must be at least a junior in college and have at least one semester of practical newsroom experience. (prior internship or college station/publication are acceptable)
- Candidate must have excellent attention to detail and organizational skills, be a self-starter and a strong communicator.
- Pursuing a degree in the media field of study with some completed journalism coursework is preferred (e.g., Broadcast Journalism, Communications or related field).
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, data entry and analysis (i.e., Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of how to file records requests is a plus.
- Ability to locate and call interview subjects.
- Proactive, agile, and have the ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills to effectively build internal and external relationships.
- Strong organizational, planning, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.