The Animator is responsible for high-quality animation of 3D characters, weapons, vehicles, and cameras for both gameplay and cinematic sequences.
San Francisco Bay Area
Jun 07, 2022
We are looking for an artist who reflects the innovative spirit, production excellence and immersive storytelling that defines ILMxLAB.
The Animator is responsible for high-quality animation of 3D characters, weapons, vehicles, and cameras for both gameplay and cinematic sequences. He collaborates with the dev team to create compelling performances within real time rendered immersive experiences.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Creates high-quality gameplay and cinematic animation at a high level of polish, using hand-key animation and motion capture data with some direction from Supervisors and other leads
- Works closely with creative leads to develop captivating animation that fits the style and pacing of the title. This may involve:
- Delivering blocking animatics and quick draft animations for proof of concepts
- Technical proficiency in character-set up, animation techniques, and AI behavior in order to create work that integrates successfully and reads clearly in-game
- Assist in mo-cap shooting sessions with asset prep, choreography, shot/motion list, direction etc.
- Establish a solid grasp of the existing tools and pipelines, experiment / champion opportunities for improvement
- Help define and act as a key customer for new technology investments and pipeline development.
- Playtest and troubleshoot or report any potential animation-related issues
- Collaborate in development of breakdowns, task lists, estimates, schedules, milestones and overall project goals as necessary. Monitor progress of animation deliverables
- Other related duties as assigned
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 5+ years experience as an animator (or equivalent) in games, TV/Film/VFX, or a related field
- Strong acting and storytelling skills and knowledgeable of animation principles, anatomy and motion
- Highly proficient with Maya, and experience with the implementation of animation in the game engine, especially Unreal Engine
- Ability to manage and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams
- Strong communication and collaboration skills. Help support junior animators
- Ability to take direction/feedback as well as adapt to learn new processes, tools and platforms
- Experience with Motion capture as well as hand keyed animation at a high level of polish
Preferred Skills / Competencies:
- Multiple shipped games
- Proficiency with Linux
- Experience with Motion capture data
- Knowledge of rigging, scripting (Python, Mel), and video editing
*A portfolio / reel submission - including a detailed breakdown of your work in each section - is required with all artist applications*