Do you love making social media content for teens? Do you speak Gen Z like a natural? The Gen Z Social Engagement Specialist is a key member of the Above the Noise video series team.
Do you love making social media content for teens? Do you speak Gen Z like a natural? The Gen Z Social Engagement Specialist is a key member of the Above the Noise video series team. You will plan, create, post and monitor social media campaigns with the goal of increasing our reach and engagement among 13-18 year olds in the San Francisco Bay Area and nationally. The ideal candidate is steeped in the culture of Gen Z and loves to craft authentic and creative posts, images, videos, polls and more for this audience. You know social platforms like Instagram, YouTube and Twitter inside and out, and you have some ideas for how you'd like to experiment on TikTok and other emerging platforms. You can analyze why a post has gone viral, but understand that consistent engagement is what leads to long term growth. You are comfortable engaging the community directly in comments and DMs and aren’t afraid to squash a few trolls along the way. This position works closely with the Above the Noise content production team and reports to the Education Marketing and Engagement Director. This role will be a good fit for a social media content creator interested in journalism and community building -- who is only looking for a part-time position for the next year or so.
One of our core values at KQED is that we are better together, and that we commit to learning, growth, and holding ourselves accountable. We value the contributions of marginalized people in society — including Black, Indigenous, and all people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQIA+ people — and we believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do, and we strongly encourage members of these communities to apply.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Plans, creates, and posts engaging content for Gen Z on the Above the Noise social media accounts on Twitter, Instagram, and the YouTube Community Tab -- including content like short video, threaded posts, youth takeovers, polls, and live video.
- Does light graphic design/image editing to create or modify assets for posting.
- Engages Gen Z audience community conversationally on social channels through replies and comments.
- Moderates social channels to maintain standards of conduct.
- Launches new and innovative social media campaigns as deemed appropriate per our strategic priorities.
- Identifies user trends and collaborates with the Above the Noise production team and Education, Marketing on Gen Z audience development tactics.
- Creates and distributes social media kits to Gen Z audience development partners.
- Maintains social media editorial calendar that reflects content and marketing plans of Above the Noise, Education Marketing, and KQED channels.
- With support from Education Marketing and Engagement Director, gathers data and provides analysis of outcomes of tactics and campaigns to inform strategy (monthly and as needed)
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
Knowledge and Experience Required:
- Experienced with developing and maintaining a social platform that creatively and effectively reaches and engages Gen Z audiences.
- Strong knowledge of marketing communications strategies for reaching Gen Z across social media platforms, especially Instagram, Twitter and YouTube.
- Fluent with best practices for content posting and authentic audience engagement across multiple social media platforms.
- Proven ability to write posts and develop media content that resonate with Gen Z audiences.
- Good communication skills, both written and in person, and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of stakeholders across KQED and outside partners.
- Track record of managing a social media content calendar and using management tools like SproutSocial, Tweetdeck) to schedule posts and track trending topics.
- Able to do basic image editing and publishing (e.g. Canva, Photoshop, Illustrator).
- A team player who can work productively in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency with Google productivity suite (drive, docs, slides, sheets) and Microsoft Outlook.
- Independent thinker who works well in a team environment.
- Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
- Ability to meet deadlines and goals while working under pressure.
- Committed to strengthening public media and comfortable abiding by KQED’s Code of Ethics.
- Experience with TikTok.
- Graphic design or video editing skills.
- Bilingual/Spanish speaker.
- Experience with PR/comms crisis triage and communication.
Please include in your cover letter 2-3 examples of media you have made for a youth audience. You can include links to social media posts, YouTube videos, or online portfolios.
Let us tell you more about our benefits:
Whether you’re single, married, have children, are in a domestic partnership or anything in between, we have you covered. Employees at KQED enjoy a family-friendly workplace offering paid time off, paid holidays, paid parental leave, family medical leave benefits, comprehensive health/vision/dental and commuter benefits as well as a 403(b) plan. KQED encourages diversity, openness and offers training to support personal and professional development. In addition, we are proud to offer Employee Resource Groups, wellness programs as well as free KQED membership.
The mission that drives us:
KQED is for everyone who wants to be more.
Our television, radio, digital media, and educational services change lives for the better and help individuals and communities achieve their full potential.
KQED serves the people of Northern California with a community-supported alternative to commercial media.
We provide people with the knowledge they need to make informed decisions; convene community dialogue; bring the arts to everyone and engage audiences to share their stories. We help students and teachers thrive in 21st-century classrooms, and take people of all ages on journeys of exploration- exposing them to new people, places and ideas.
We celebrate diversity, embrace innovation, value lifelong learning and partner with those who share our passion for public services.