Interested in joining the team? The CBS News Streaming Network is seeking a New York-based FREELANCE SENIOR WRITER/PRODUCER to join its 24-hour coverage team. Work closely with the executive producer & line producer in a fast-paced, demanding environment, handling breaking news and news-of-day demands for a 24-hour digital news channel.
Live Event / On Location Services
Greater New York City Area
Oct 18, 2023
Interested in joining the team? The CBS News Streaming Network is seeking a New York-based FREELANCE SENIOR WRITER/PRODUCER to join its 24-hour coverage team.
The ideal candidate is proactive, creative and editorially rigorous. They will demonstrate a firm command of journalistic standards, a keen attention to detail, and excellent newsgathering and visual storytelling skills. They must also be calm and efficient during breaking news and, while based in New York, serve as a collaborative member of a global news organization.
All applicants will be reviewed and considered for current and near-future openings.
- Work closely with the executive producer & line producer in a fast-paced, demanding environment, handling breaking news and news-of-day demands for a 24-hour digital news channel
- Write powerful, creative teases, headlines, opening package and readers for live programming
- Research key stories and provide trusted information to anchor and executive producer
- Fact-check stories, segment questions, graphics and lower-thirds
- Work from the control room, listening in on anchor pretapes and show run-throughs, offering insight when anchor has a question about a script, fact or needs context
- Communicate with anchor, executive producer, line producer and control room team ahead of and during live shows, exhibiting a calm and professional demeanor in high-pressure situations
- See current stories and envision ways of telling them differently - through copy, graphics, video
- Offer unique angles to current and new stories, such as history and legal context
- Generate story ideas for future coverage
- Offer constructive feedback to a team of writers, associate producers and digital associates
- Serve as a mentor to junior writers, offering potential workshops
- May also perform the responsibilities of content producers, producers, associate producers and digital associates, as needed
Skills and experience:
- At least 6-8 years of experience producing and writing copy for a national broadcast, cable or streaming network, or equivalent local TV news experience in a major market
- Line producing experience preferred
- Experience in high-production news studios that have multiple camera angles, LED walls, interactive sets
- Command of AP style and broadcast writing with impeccable grammar and spelling
- Knowledge of CBS News style, voice and standards - or can easily adapt and learn CBS News style and standards
- Strong communication skills and ability to train and advise associate producers, production assistants and junior staff in writing and editing broadcast copy
- Deep understanding for editorial production, including control room experience, with strong writing and copy editing skills
- Detail oriented with ability to work in fast-paced environment, deal with intense deadlines and continually react to breaking news with factual programming and creative storytelling
- Broad knowledge of top stories driving the news cycle, including political news, and a knack for identifying lesser-known angles that resonate with audiences
- Legal, finance or political background a plus
- Ability to multi-task and handle multiple assignments for regular programming as well as rolling breaking news coverage
- Superior news judgment & critical thinking skills
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education in journalism or related field
- Fluency using ENPS is a plus
- Deep understanding of news standards, rights and clearances and fact-checking practices
- Must pass comprehensive CBS News Digital writing test
- Must be available to work all shifts — early morning, dayside, nights, weekends and holidays — sometimes on short notice or as coverage, scheduling and news events warrant, as this is a 24-hour news organization
- This position is based in New York and requires working in-person at the CBS Broadcast Center
Weekly Hiring Salary Range: $1,692.00 - 2,400.00.
Day, Evening, Overnight