In this position, operators will be assigned to specific roles for each shift. These roles include transmission support, operating and supporting live events, media management and ingest, streaming, and other support roles needed in BITS (Broadcast and Ingest Transmission Services) and Media Management departments.
San Francisco Bay Area
Apr 21, 2022
The Broadcast Operator will interface with different departments as well as outside vendors and must be able to effectively communicate and execute workflows to any complex matter within the broadcast work environment. Work hours include nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Work Orders: Gather information and take direction from multiple sources, such as engineering, systems, net-ops, programming, and production departments. Generate and execute work orders for the activity of the department. Ensure work orders generated by other operators are correct before events occur. Execute work orders scheduled to occur during assigned shifts.
- Perform Fax-outs: Check the technical and logistical parameters of the backhaul feeds and transmission facilities, following documented "fax-out" procedures.
- Media Management: Set up records, tag assets with metadata, recut events in Premiere, QC, and archive games.
- Monitor Feeds- Monitor incoming feeds for the duration of the events, including re-feeds, if necessary, to ensure trouble-free broadcasts.
- Monitor school live streams to ensure the health of the stream is maintained throughout scheduled events. Work directly with school contacts and streaming engineers.
- Perform Troubleshooting: Investigate and be able to accurately report a root cause analysis for any service interruption or anomaly for both linear broadcast and school streams.
- Document and communicate pertinent information regarding activity and service anomalies in a timely manner.
- Maintain working knowledge of the company's transmission networks and providing vendors and their capabilities. Maintains working knowledge and is able to execute transmission triage procedures. Prepare back-up scenario(s) as necessary, in the event of loss of service, to ensure service continuity during a live event.
- Ingest and QC of closed-captioned assets to ensure FCC compliance
- Other duties as assigned by Director, Transmission & Media or Manager, Media Asset Management if pertaining to Media Management.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Broadcast, Engineering, or related field, and/or equivalent work experience.
- One to three years' experience working within transmission, TV master control, production control room or media ingest work environment. Direct experience working with IP-based or fiber-based transmission workflows and vendors is preferred.
- Experience working with broadcast equipment such as routing systems waveform monitors, vectorscopes, and audio scopes.
- Ability to create and comprehend newly deployed workflows. Operators must have the necessary comprehension and ability to execute new tasks independently within 2 weeks.
- Ability to create and understand signal flow documentation.
- Ability to demonstrate confidence and take full ownership of individual events assigned to. Able to troubleshoot and escalate any critical broadcast or transmission problems quickly and efficiently in order to minimize disruptions.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize under time constraints and work successfully in a fast-paced environment independently.
- Experience working in a culturally diverse organization and supporting the values held by our unique employees, clients, sponsors, university faculty, and fans.
- Customer-focused approach with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Operators must be on time for all shifts.
- Proficiency with media asset management systems, IP-based transmission, and associated systems, such as FTP, routing switches, and server operation.
- A detailed and organized approach to work.
- Strong written and oral communication
- Desire to learn and expand your technical knowledge within the broadcasting area.
- Knowledgeable and passionate about college sports in general, specifically Pac-12 universities.
- Effective interpersonal skills; act as a functional member of the team with an ability to maintain productive working relationships with co-workers.