TheGrio is looking for an accomplished Booker to lead the booking of guests and manage newsmaker requests for our new slate of TV shows, podcasts and digital programs.
TheGrio is strongly building its editorial staff. It is an investment in the business's core competencies. These jobs will primarily be based in NY and Atlanta. Some of the positions will be opportunities to work from other cities or fully remote. Byron Allen, CEO of Allen Media Group, says, “TheGrio is the leader of fearless journalism and inspirational storytelling about Black people. No other Black news outlet has our cumulative audience reach or impact. This is a natural growth of our brand sponsorships, and editorial partnerships for TheGrio's content on digital, mobile, streaming, podcasts, and social media.”
TheGrio is looking for an accomplished Booker to lead the booking of guests and manage newsmaker requests for our new slate of TV shows, podcasts and digital programs. This Booker will be expected to collaborate effectively with internal and external stakeholders to secure the best celebrity, newsmaker and expert bookings for each vertical. The Booker will manage breaking news booking requests for live daily show interviews, as well as special projects for all Grio platforms. The Booker is responsible for researching and pitching editorial recommendations to incorporate guests into the full range of Grio products.
The ideal candidate will have a deep network of contacts with entertainers, satirists, elected officials, lawmakers, reporters, and other thought leaders. They are resourceful at identifying and locating potential guests by using various means, including talent representatives, social media, digital investigative methods, etc. The Booker should also be able to develop and maintain new relationships with potential guests for the benefit of TheGrio’s programming. They will work with theGrio’s teams to amplify content. Travel and presence on set for shoots may be required. Deep knowledge and passion for African American issues, news and culture is a must.
- Booking high-profile politicians, business leaders, and other big-name guests to appear on theGrio’s slate of TV shows, podcasts and digital programs.
- Pitching segment ideas for guests that viewers will find compelling, unique and interesting.
- Conducting research, pre-interviews with guests, writing summary notes and questions, interview prep, monitor production for accuracy and impact, and follow up with guests after release.
- Booking guests for daily live-show deadlines.
- Working collaboratively and routinely with the Entertainment Director, other bookers, producers and managers to streamline the booking process, prevent overlapping requests, and maximize audience reach.
- Support the creation and management of a centralized booking system and database.
- Consistently exhibit strong news judgement and maintaining standards and practices guidelines.
- Consistently exhibit strong news judgement, as well as lead and forecast editorial direction.
- Support a culture of teamwork, collaboration, and a growth mindset.
- Create mitigations for risk by identifying them early and reporting them.
- Pitching story and content ideas, as well as forecasting editorial direction.
- Proactively supporting a healthy newsroom culture with high performance and quality commitments.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 5+ years of producing or reporting experience in television news, production, or digital outlet.
- A strong understanding of TheGrio’s voice and brand with a passion for content Black audiences care about including entertainment, lifestyle, culture, health, breaking news and politics.
- Deep network of connections with experts, newsmakers, celebrities, and their representatives.
- Experience in all areas of TV production, including familiarity with control room operations, booking, field producing.
- Ability to build and maintain strong professional relationships with all Grio production teams.
- Several years of writing experience.
- Must possess strong news judgment.
- Demonstrate strong editorial judgment as well as the ability to multitask, prioritize projects, stay calm under pressure and respond constructively to feedback.
- Uncompromising work ethic, flexibility, and willingness to get the job done in a 24x7 environment.
- Think expansively about how to enhance TheGrio’s brand.
- Have deep knowledge of and passion for Black news and culture.
- Must have the ability to respond quickly to news or cultural events.
- Willing to work in New York, NY or Atlanta, GA.