The E.W. Scripps Company is hiring a Finance Director to support Scripps Sports. This position works as a key business partner in analyzing financial performance to ensure Scripps Sports is appropriately planning, budgeting, and forecasting to hit short-term and long-term financial goals.
The E.W. Scripps Company is hiring a Finance Director to support Scripps Sports. This position works as a key business partner in analyzing financial performance to ensure Scripps Sports is appropriately planning, budgeting, and forecasting to hit short-term and long-term financial goals. This may include, but is not limited to, identifying how to improve operating performance, optimize capital deployment and measure the success of strategic opportunities and initiatives. This role works closely with the sports leadership team to analyze historical results, identify business trends, assess viability of business opportunities, develop strategic plans and measure success to provide recommendations for future business decisions. This is a hybrid position located in Cincinnati, OH.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Provide strategic leadership and execution of planning, budgeting, forecasting, and analysis needs.
- Facilitates the development of the long-range plan, providing financial modeling to ensure alignment with overall business objectives. Identifies and communicates status, risks and opportunities.
- Develops and maintains dashboards of key performance indicators to measure progress toward achievement of key strategic business and/or department goals, recommending corrective action and realignment as necessary to achieve objectives.
- Works closely with the enterprise FP&A team to assist with contingency planning and developing alternative solutions to address financial matters.
- Supports the business through ad hoc financial projections, analysis and reporting, including new business opportunities, sales forecasts, pricing analysis, profitability analysis, P&L review, variance analysis, revenue score-carding, audience delivery analysis, workforce analysis, programming projections and analysis and other ad-hoc decision support.
- Leads the preparation and due diligence process for new sports right deal acquisitions and owns the financial acquisition model of each proposed deal.
- Conducts research on the sports media landscape and provides feedback and understanding on how that impacts our sports strategy to leadership.
- Works with the appropriate department(s) to review negotiated contracts.
- In coordination with Scripps’ centralized accounting team, serves as liaison and subject matter expert for accounting operations and financial reporting.
- Other duties as assigned.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or related discipline, MBA preferred
- 7+ years of experience in finance, accounting, or operations planning and analysis required.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING:
- Strong executive presence and ability to interact and influence people at all levels of the organization.
- High degree of financial, analytical and leadership competence and business acumen.
- Possess broad range of capabilities; including being a strategic leader, skilled negotiator, and an accomplished executor.
- Demonstrated ability as a self-starter with strong problem-solving skills and the ability to think independently.
- Demonstrate excellent financial modeling and analytical skills for budgeting and forecasting combined with a strong attention to detail and the ability to present complex, detailed financial information in a usable format to a diverse audience.
- Ability to work closely with a leadership team while building trusting relationships and partnerships throughout the organization.
- Demonstrate deep level of understanding of the industry, core financial and success drivers and processes.
- Able to drive change within an ever-evolving media landscape.
- Extensive knowledge of US GAAP, applicable tax principles and relationships.
- Intermittent travel may be required.
- Scripps offers a hybrid working option for this position (minimum 2 days in office per week).