Proven and effective contributor to shows and production units as assigned by Producers and Coordinating Producers.
Aug 01, 2022
Demonstrates superior creativity in assembling production elements including teases and features. Develops and produces show segments and stories using non-linear editing systems.
- Produces short-form and long-form feature stories and profiles across platforms such as SportsCenter, SC Featured, College Gameday, NFL Countdown, NBA Countdown, ESPN+, etc.
- Generates, researches and pitches content/story ideas; determines the content, writing, editing style and storyline/narrative of features; arranges for talent, graphics, animation, equipment and crews; identifies storylines for narrative; writes script; oversees feature "shoots"; oversees editing to achieve the desired story arc and high-end production.
- Plans and directs the work of freelance production personnel and freelance technicians during feature story productions. Ability to shoot/edit and knowledge of innovations in technology with cameras and edit is a plus.
- Presents work for review to the responsible Vice President, Coordinating Producer or Senior Managing Producer at regular intervals and milestones.
- Develops concepts and content for feature stories to reach viewers and increase ESPN's market penetration, television ratings, digital viewership, and social media reach.
- Participates in decisions regarding the full scope of creative, content, production and cost/benefit decisions for assigned feature stories and profiles.
- Recommendations and decisions are subject to general review and are guided by the defined objectives and outcomes of assigned feature stories.
- Pushes the envelope creatively while working within confines of budget restrictions of particular feature or show.
- Works independently without Talent when necessary or desired, conducting in-depth interviews and with well-written scripts.
- Embraces and seeks knowledge of multi-platform content integration (digital/social media) and technological advances in field and post production.
- Actively maximizes cross-platform potential of feature production.
- Researches sports information and utilizes information resources in support of productions and to ensure accuracy.
- Values the VTL and digital archive systems and proactively works to ensure important material is preserved in these systems.
- Minimum 5 years of progressively complex related production experience with advanced prior experience reporting and producing features.
- Has an ability to identify, create and write compelling feature stories and profiles, executing high-end video production from concept to completion.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment to turn feature stories around quickly for air.
- Understands what content is compelling and relevant to shows, and actively suggests appropriate ideas.
- Has strong research, reportorial/journalistic and storytelling skills.
- Has strong communication and writing skills.
- Proven ability to supervise effectively camera crews and editors; has demonstrated high-end, cinematic production skills with shooting, editing, audio/music, etc.
- Has budget and resource management skills.
- Specific knowledge of television production technique used in digital and social media.
- Frequent travel to news gathering sights; availability to work weekends.
- Demonstrated proficiency of working independently and remotely.
- Use of various computer programs, including video editing programs and Photoshop, Microsoft Outlook, ENPS, NCS, various inter and intranet sites.
- Minimum 3 years of experience using non-linear edit software such as Avid and Adobe Premiere and able to produce rough cuts of segments for preliminary screening.
- Preference given to candidates with strong editing background, who can edit, color-correct, and provide final audio mix.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- A College or Technical School degree in communications, electronics, television production or related field is desired.