ESPN is looking for a Staff Writer with an impressive track record in breaking news and premium storytelling to join its London team. This role will involve writing industry-leading content on a daily basis; from exclusive news lines to long-form features.
London, United Kingdom
Oct 25, 2023
ESPN is looking for a Staff Writer with an impressive track record in breaking news and premium storytelling to join its London team.
- This role will involve writing industry-leading content on a daily basis; from exclusive news lines to long-form features.
- Candidates will cover major events across the EMEA region, including Premier League football, and must bring previous experience in reporting on top-level sports and an ability to work calmly under considerable pressure.
- The successful candidate will be able to point to an already sizeable contacts book across major sports and a proven ability to break news and write compelling features, as well as having an ability to conduct interviews with big names in the industry.
- This role will require a genuine 360 approach; candidates must be excited about the opportunity to contribute to all of ESPN’s platforms and audience touchpoints, notably across digital video and television.
- The Staff Writer will play a key role in a global reporting team at ESPN, so must be a genuine team player and collaborator, ready to go the extra mile to drive forward ESPN’s reputation as an industry leader.
- Previous experience of working on a busy news desk is preferable, as is a knowledge of the writing and editing skills that apply across digital media, in particular SEO.
- Successful candidates for this position will be able to demonstrate an outstanding sports knowledge, including football, boxing, MMA, golf and tennis.
ESPN is part of the Walt Disney company. This position is based in Hammersmith, offering a competitive salary.
- We’re looking for a self-starter with a nose for sports news and captivating stories. You must have experience of working at a high level in sports journalism and understand how to operate in a pressured 24/7 environment.
- Excellent writing skills are an absolute must for this role. Candidates must already have an excellent ability in writing news and features in English, while an experience of working in a major sports newsroom would be beneficial.
- Adaptability is also key and the right candidate will have a first-rate sports knowledge. Successful candidates will work to extremely tight deadlines on a daily basis.
- A high level of proficiency in a second European language (writing and speaking) would be an advantage but is not essential.
- Candidates will be ready to challenge the way we work with a creative and diverse way of thinking, leading to innovative ideas.
- An ability to write and edit accurately and coherently in English, under pressure
- Ability to source and write sports stories for a digital audience with accuracy and speed
- An existing portfolio of premium work, especially written storytelling (in English)
- An impressive contacts book and experience of reporting at major events
- Someone who constantly brings enthusiasm, problem-solving and the highest editorial standards to the table
- An understanding of the essential requirement of working to tight deadlines
- A passion for journalism and breaking news stories that will resonate on a regional or global level
- A true team player and collaborator, ready to work evenings and weekends regularly
- A competitive drive to produce industry-leading content
- Great communication skills; picking up the phone should come naturally to you
- Strong knowledge across all sports, particularly football
- A second language would be a real benefit