The Editor of the Race, Class and Communities team will work with reporters on short and long-form radio and web stories and at times will edit newscasts.
Who We Are
At American Public Media Group/Minnesota Public Radio (APMG/MPR News), we strive to deliver essential information to a regional audience in an engaged, creative way. We believe in continuing to improve our relevance to new and existing listeners, readers and digital audiences, including those beyond our traditional broadcast reach. We provide award-winning audio and digital products, including podcasts. Our newsroom believes in teamwork, we nurture talent and strive to regularly beat the competition with exclusive, compelling content. We believe in fostering a newsroom that deeply reflects and connects with the communities we serve.
In addition to working with your immediate team(s), you'll be supported by a newsroom full of reporters, producers, photographers, newscasters, editors and hosts who are eager to collaborate. MPR News reaches more than 500,000 listeners each week, and our radio signal can be heard by 95 percent of the state's population. We are an NPR member station, partner with more than 40 news organizations across the region and work under the same umbrella as APM Reports, Brains On!, Marketplace, The Splendid Table and more.
Candidates should be committed to our strategic goal of creating and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce that reflects our changing state. Minnesota is approaching 20 percent Black, Indigenous and People of Color and the Twin Cities metro area is approaching 30 percent BIPOC.
An inclusive environment supports employees who feel pride in all that we do, feel welcome in our culture, and see a future with us. Our strength lies in staff diversity and people that contribute their time and talents to APMG/MPR. We have a deep belief in our commitment to create trusted and meaningful listening experiences with and for curious people in the state of Minnesota. It is our aim that our employees, leadership and Board of Trustees reflect and embrace these core principles.
The Editor of the Race, Class and Communities team will work with reporters on short and long-form radio and web stories and at times will edit newscasts. Your work will primarily be focused on developing robust coverage plans and stories representative of Minnesota’s communities. You will ensure MPR News’ coverage is authentic and representative of the vast citizenry. You may be called on to fill in for other editors, help prioritize coverage plans and guide reporting projects. Duties also include collaborating with other editors to set both the short-term and long-term news agendas for MPR News. The editor will produce and edit daily news stories, guide enterprise reporting, and on occasion may write quick-turn stories in breaking news situations. You may help train interns and coach reporters on specific reporting skills as needed. While you will have an assigned shift, per the news cycle and staffing needs of a daily news organization, you may be assigned to work an early morning, night and/or weekend shift.
What We Offer
This is a position within the SAG-AFTRA bargaining unit at MPR News. We offer a competitive benefits package, including health, dental and 403B.
Compensation range: $33.27 - $51.92/hr. Exact hourly rate determined by experience and education related to the role, organizational compensation structure and internal equity.
Application Deadline: November 19, 2021
- Manage/maintain broad news coverage stream (i.e. digital, online and audio newscast)
- Focus team reporting on distinct coverage of diverse communities
- Coach staff on writing, delivery and reporting
- Assigns stories (or other segments)
- Edit scripts with sound for all platforms: radio, web, all copy for final approval to air and/or publish
- Work with digital team on production, images, graphics as needed
- Contribute to setting coverage priorities with other editors
- May require some writing for online in breaking news situations
- Participate in all applicable editorial meetings
- Responsible for extending knowledge and expertise to others
- Work on specialized, focused projects as assigned
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, or similar field or related work experience
- Two years editing or equivalent experience, including experience of managing the work of others.
- Five year’s reporting experience
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Experience in maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
- Ability to develop complex story ideas that provide analysis and add context
- Knowledge of broadcast and digital journalism newsgathering practices
- Ability to handle coverage for challenging news events
- Ability to seek out and incorporate findings using audience engagement tools/methods
- Willingness to contribute to and participate in fostering a culture of equity and inclusion in support of organizational goals
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Knowledge of AP Style
- Prior editing experience a plus
- Familiarity with Belka production or willingness to learn
- Data journalism training a plus
Reporting To This Position: None.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to manage some work outside of standard office hours as needed.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Required to move about in the community
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.