At DreamWorks Animation Television, under the guidance of the Art Director, the Character Designer crafts character designs, turns, expression sheets, special poses, mouth charts, costumes and any other character-related art that the production may require.
Greater Los Angeles Area
Oct 30, 2023
At DreamWorks Animation Television, under the guidance of the Art Director, the Character Designer crafts character designs, turns, expression sheets, special poses, mouth charts, costumes and any other character-related art that the production may require. Character Designers ensure that all deliverables align with the production’s schedule, technical specifications, and creative vision of the series.
DreamWorks Animation Television has an exciting new opportunity for a Character Designer to join its team based in Glendale, CA. This position is covered by the Animation Guild.
“What would you say you do here?”
- Complete all rough, revised and final designs necessary within assigned timelines
- Craft clear and detailed designs for characters in the style of the show
- 2D: Create detailed turns of the characters
- 2D: When required, add tone and highlight lines to the characters
- CG: Create detailed and accurate orthographics, turns and/or poses for modeling reference
- Reference storyboards, style guide, show bible and/or source materials to understand the context and to ensure continuity of the character designs
- Support and maintain the artistic vision of the series
- Willingness to take feedback and rework material while maintaining a new perspective
- Communicate progress of work to appropriate production staff and ensure all deadlines are met
- Ensure all artwork is properly backed up, organized and stored appropriately
- Ensure all shipping materials are prepared and ready on time
“What do I need to have in order to do this job?”
- Strong character design skills
- Skilled at drawing and a detailed understanding of anatomy and perspective
- Advanced knowledge of Photoshop
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Is a great teammate, who genuinely enjoys working with others
- Strong time-management skills
- Works well in a fast paced production environment under pressure
“What can I offer?”
- At least 3 years of experience in television animation, feature animation and/or video games
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 2D: Working knowledge of Illustrator and/or Zbrush is a plus
- CG: Working knowledge of Zbrush, Maya and/or Modo is a plus
- Portfolio that demonstrates strong character design skills
This position has been designated as hybrid, generally contributing from the office a minimum of three days per week.
Salary Range: $78,312 - $125,000