This candidate will direct and lead the production teams for high profile shows on The Weather Channel, delivering “network-level” on-air results.
Live Event / On Location Services
Greater Atlanta Area
Jan 31, 2023
This candidate will direct shows and must be able to direct and technical direct simultaneously. The candidate must have excellent communication skills with ability to “call” a show in a clear, efficient manner that can be followed by all, while maintaining control of the crew and the show. Candidate is expected to direct and technical direct live and taped programming, with or without Producer input and possibly in a one-person automated control room setting. The candidate will have supervisory authority over the crew during the show and during pre-show and post-show meetings. This position will also technical direct and must have a solid technical background with television and must be able to troubleshoot technical directing issues.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct and / or technical direct live shows, pre-production and post-production from a Production Control Room or post suite, delivering high production value, “network-level” on-air results on assigned projects across the network.
- Oversee technical and creative execution of TWC programming, specifically the high profile shows.
- Review show rundowns prior to productions with Executive Producers, Producers, Talent, On-Camera Meteorologists, and Production Tech team communicating rundown changes, show needs, script changes, crew performance expectations, etc.
- Be able to direct all show elements taking full advantage of the capabilities of the production switcher (DVE wipes, animated transitions, box effects, live shots, etc.) along with available graphic production devices.
- Be able to operate preset cues from the lighting board, and show cues from the audio console.
- Be able to operate iNEWS (or comparable system) to access and mark rundowns, scripts, and communicate to technical crew all changes in show.
- Give clear, concise cues to all crew members.
- Provide pre and post-show performance feedback and critiques as needed.
- Provide performance feedback on crew performance to Manager.
- Give timing cues to Talent and crew as needed.
- Be proficient and operate a one-person automated control room for scheduled shows or pre-production.
- Will be responsible for other duties as required and/or assigned.
- Report outcome of show via Director Show Report after every show.
- Report equipment problems and discrepancies to Manager and to Engineering Dept. via in-house request system.
- Oversee creative and directorial production of TWC programming.
- Work with management to lead directing team and production crew development and team building.
- Partner with team members to effectively share techniques and skills to strengthen the skills of the team as a whole.
- Participate in development of ideas and implementation of process improvements for Director / TDs.
- Identify and address any lighting issues with the Lighting Director and assist with any necessary changes.
- Maintain close contact with Engineer On Duty to report and follow-up on equipment issues.
- Report, via written shift notes and TOC reports, any personnel or equipment issues to appropriate Manager and next shift team lead.
- Work closely with appropriate Manager to prepare for current or future crew and/or programming changes.
- Will be required to sit in a chair from 2 – 4 hours at a time.
- Will be required to wear a headset and listen to multiple audio sources during on-air show production.
- Will be required to type on a keyboard for a period of 2 – 3 hours during pre-production and for 2 - 4 hours during the on-air show production.
- Will be required to look at a computer monitor and other monitors for a period of 2 – 3 hours during pre-productions and for 2 - 4 hours during the onair show or production. Some monitors could be as close as 2 ft and as far as 12 ft away.
- May be required to move and lift set pieces. Set Pieces may range between 20 – 100 lbs. Items over 20 lbs. would be carried by multiple crewmembers.
- 3-5 years broadcast or Cable TV Production Experience preferred
- Degree in Communications or Broadcasting related field
- Demonstrated basic understanding of job responsibilities and operations for all Production Control Room team members (Audio, Vizrt, Orad, Robotics, Floor manager, etc.)
- Above average computer skills, including working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite apps, and ability to learn and utilize Google business apps
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Highly motivated and self-directed with a strong business work ethic, positive attitude and professional demeanor.
- Interacts effectively and horizontally through TWC as needed, ability to work closely and collaboratively with multiple departments and management
- Must be customer-focused and a team player
- Exhibits high degree of dependability, initiative, energy, and enthusiasm; must be flexible and able to adjust to changing priorities.