The Director of Community Impact at WJZ will play a pivotal role in leading our next-generation storytelling efforts – focusing on areas where we can affect change in the communities we serve – every single day - as well as ensuring balance and authenticity in our local products across platforms.
Baltimore, Maryland Area
Nov 01, 2023
The role and responsibility of local news stations is to accurately reflect and represent the communities where they live – to hold the powerful accountable and to affect positive change in service to those communities. We seek strong/phenomenal storytellers and content leaders who are as committed to creating tangible and meaningful impact in our communities as we are.
The Director of Community Impact at WJZ will play a pivotal role in leading our next-generation storytelling efforts – focusing on areas where we can affect change in the communities we serve – every single day - as well as ensuring balance and authenticity in our local products across platforms. You will be entrusted with guiding reporters tasked with building relationships and sourcing original stories at the neighborhood-level. You will be responsible for creating and managing content across platforms focused on critical local issues and neighborhood triumphs, using storytelling to inspire compassion, mobilize communities, and spark action + conversations. The Director will design a strategic plan in partnership with the News Director and the Vice President of Content Development to ensure reaching this goal every day as well as work alongside the General Manager and Creative Services Director to identify and leverage those relationships/partnerships that could grow into brand-compliant station wide commitments and campaigns.
If you have a passion for community service and the ability to surface and create unique and untold stories…if you are able to form relationships and partnerships that can be used to bring a broader scope of community stories to our newscasts and news products, we want to hear from you!
- Must have proven news judgment and strong story-telling skills
- Accountable for community focused content – ensuring accuracy and fairness
- Must be able to ensure content is compelling across multiple platforms
- Special attention to skills related to original/enterprise reporting, writing, graphics, story placement & timely communication that will inspire
- Will partner with on-air, producing and writing other staff
- Knowledge of desk top editing, graphics management and control room automation
- Willing to work with all departments – across disciplines, to produce relevant content
- Strong social media skills
- Compliance with CBS policies and journalistic standards
- At least 5 years of experience as an Executive Producer or Assistant News Director a plus
- Strong, measurable story-telling experience
- Consistent track record in producing impactful community-based initiatives
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or similar field
- Familiar with assigned market
- Connected with key influencers within the community
- Can manage all community-based campaigns – with an emphasis on broad impact with neighborhood sensibility
- Must be able to build and maintain partnerships with community leaders and organizations