The Pipeline Developer – Houdini is part of the Pipeline department who will be working on enabling Houdini based pipeline systems and workflows across all creative departments. This role is expected to handle production support and also deliver Houdini based pipeline development tasks.
Greater Atlanta Area
May 01, 2023
The Pipeline Developer – Houdini is part of the Pipeline department who will be working on enabling Houdini based pipeline systems and workflows across all creative departments. This role is expected to handle production support and also deliver Houdini based pipeline development tasks. While Houdini is used across various functions at SpinVFX, Pipeline Developer – Houdini, will employ appropriate software development methodologies to automate workflows, author Houdini tools and integrate pipeline frameworks in Houdini, ultimately accelerating efficiency for the artists. This role relies on close collaboration with multiple CG and Pipeline Department Supervisors. The Pipeline Developer – Houdini will be key to the advancement of CG pipeline by working hand in glove with world class talent who are crafting award winning blockbusters at SpinVFX.
- Efficiently troubleshoot and automate any Houdini toolset related production challenges in a timely manner.
- Where appropriate, proactively investigate and deliver technical solutions to enhance artist’s workflows. Be able to bring the latest industry trends and context to the discussion table.
- A strong understanding and implementation of UX/UI best practices.
- Maintain and evolve the SpinVFX CG pipeline tool set composed of Python, PySide/PyQT UIs and Houdini HDAs.
- Scope technical specifications, design, develop, document (developer and artist facing) Houdini related development tasks.
- Actively participate in the Pipeline department code review process.
- Continuously integrate and upgrade pipeline frameworks to work with Houdini.
- Employ excellent communication skills to articulate technical and creative ideas across technical, artist and production teams. Strive to keep Compositing and Pipeline Supervisor abreast of all the challenges and progress in a timely manner.
- 2+ years experience with developing tools with Houdini software.
- Decent experience with Python, PySide/PyQt/QT, GIT.
- Exposure with Pipeline software integrations with Houdini.
- Decent understanding of Houdini VEX
- Excellent communication skills and ability to build strong relationships with technical leadership, developers and non-technical stakeholders.
- Good grasp of Animation/VFX/Gaming pipeline workflows especially of the Character Effects and Effects departments.
- A Degree in Computer Science or similar subject. Or equivalent industry experience.
- Experience with FBX, ABC, USD, Houdini Solaris is highly regarded
- Prior experience with Shotgun API, Tractor/Deadline API, Linux environment
- Any experience with Houdini’s C++ API programming is an asset
- Practical knowledge of TDD and Agile SDLC methodologies
If this sounds like you, please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include “Department TD – CFX ” in the subject line.