TheGrio seeks a veteran journalist who has leveraged skills acquired as a print or digital beat or enterprise reporter to transform into a seasoned news editor.
Charged with the responsibility of shaping stories essential to support the well-being, rights, livelihood, protection, joy, financial security, and success of Black people, the person in this role will provide direction on story framing, narrative structure, balance, source development, and journalistic integrity. Daily, the line editor will coach writers, edit aggregated and original copy, and provide options for sourcing images.
● Source and aggregate 2-3 lifestyle stories daily, including advance content for weekend publication.
● Conceive and develop longer-form features and series with thoroughly researched original reporting.
● Regularly assist in executing editorial campaigns and series, guides, slideshows, reviews, and lists.
● Regularly monitor news and social media to identify and quickly produce breaking stories relevant to the lifestyle space, including significant fashion/beauty drops, obituaries, and more.
● Develop editorial angles specific to the lifestyle space for a Black audience, reported through a balanced and well-researched lens with a focus on engagement, empathy, and relatability.
● Collaborate with the lifestyle team and editor to develop dynamic and nuanced Black-centric content and projects that also appeal to a broader, diverse audience.
● Bachelor's degree required, preferably in journalism or writing.
● Minimum of three years of experience in digital or print journalism with a strong emphasis on and understanding of lifestyle-related topics. (Lifestyle topics include arts & culture; beauty and body image; books; faith and spirituality; families, parenting and education; fashion and style; food and hospitality; gender-related issues; health and wellness; home and interior design; personal finance; relationships and weddings, and travel.)
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including a thorough grasp of spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
● Solid news judgment and a commitment to ethical and accurate journalism. ● Excellent interviewing skills.
● Able to easily articulate ideas and craft original, engaging, and thought-provoking angles. ● Equally able to work independently and collaboratively, with an adherence to deadlines. ● Willing and able to occasionally work flexible and on-call hours, including weekends and holidays.
● Broad interest in and passion for Black culture, aesthetics, and wellness. ● An intersectional and unflinching lens on issues affecting Black communities, including LGBTQ+, mental health, disabilities, interracial identities, and sexual abuse/assault. ● Enthusiastic work ethic with a detail-oriented approach.
● Proficiency in WordPress is a plus.
*This role can be performed at one of theGrio’s physical offices or remotely for applicants from the following states: Arizona, California, Colorado, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, North Carolina, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, and Wisconsin (subject to change).