Scripps News is seeking a creative Congressional Producer to work with our Capitol Hill reporters out of the Washington, DC Bureau. This proactive, passionate and self-motivated individual will work with our reporters and producers to break news and advance the network’s Congressional coverage.
Live Event / On Location Services
Washington D.C. Metro Area
Jan 30, 2023
What You'll Do
- Work as an off-camera reporter, able to assist on-air reporters, but also lead stories.
- Support correspondents in the pitching and execution of stories by working with the assignment desk and video editors to deliver reports that are compelling, factually accurate, and on deadline.
- Research, develop, execute and write short, medium and long form political stories.
- Capture visual content and edit scripts.
- Operate various equipment, including but not limited to video camera and video editing equipment.
- Work as a field producer conducting field interviews and assisting with live field coverage.
- Make effective use of social media and other social sources to generate and promote stories.
- Work with correspondents and Political Director on political futures planning
- Meets established deadlines.
- Travel and manage field logistics and production.
- Stay on top of latest developments in political stories, attending press conferences and events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Adheres to Code of Ethics and Editorial Standards and Practices of the Company
What You'll Need
- BA or BS degree in journalism and/or political science is preferred.
- 5+ years' news production experience
- Proven storyteller with deep journalism experience
What You'll Bring
- Deep knowledge of Washington policy and processes
- Enthusiasm for and skill with “run and gun”-style reporting when needed.
- Ability to pitch smart, differentiated story ideas.
- Record of strong source development
Field position, up to 40%travel required.