The Crowd Supervisor is responsible for the artistic and technical management of the crowd team on a show, ensuring the highest-quality crowd simulations are produced in line.
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oct 31, 2023
The Crowd Supervisor is responsible for the artistic and technical management of the crowd team on a show, ensuring the highest-quality crowd simulations are produced in line
With the client’s creative vision and to the standards required by the department. This includes leading artists and leads, coordinating with all levels of production, and interacting with other department supervisors, technology teams, VFX, DFX, CG Supes, and the Director/Client.
Role and Responsibilities
- Supervise the Crowd team and provide them with aesthetic and technical guidance and support.
- Collaborate with Producers, Department Supervisors, Pipeline, and R&D teams, to ensure the smooth running of the crowd department and high-quality output.
- Responsible for implementing efficient and effective ways to integrate crowd workflows and tools within the pipeline.
- On-going communication with artists, leads, production and supervisor regarding schedules, deadlines and shot/sequence feedback.
- Attend and sometimes drive relevant meetings on shots, sequences and dev work.
- Shot/Workflow setups and troubleshooting technical issues both on the artist/agent level as required.
- Participate in the interviewing and recruiting of the crowd team.
- Identify and break down behaviours into cycles for guiding the cycle anim team to animate.
- Address technical issues and identify best practices for the team.
- Participate in the development of the Crowd Maya/Houdini Pipeline.
- Collaboration with other global locations to leverage global knowledge and input, reduce duplicated effort, and encourage parity in the methodologies and tooling used.
- Proven experience in producing crowd simulations with an eye for details, a good sense of timing.
- Expert knowledge of Houdini, and good working knowledge of Maya.
- Working knowledge of Python, VEX, and/or C++.
- Experience working in a Linux production environment.
- Experienced in project management, balancing quality with time constraints.
- Expert Creative sense and ability to understand artistic directions from VFX Supe and the Directors and guide the team accordingly.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent artistic, technical, leadership and communication skills.
- Good understanding of the filmmaking process in VFX production.
- Expert understanding of all parts of the production pipeline and processes.
- Previous experience as a Supervisor and/or significant experience in a Lead role.
Nice to Have
- Experience working with a USD based pipeline, and rendering through Clarisse and Solaris.
- Previous experience in cycle animation, character animation, rigging, or mocap.
- Additional experience with Motion Builder, Massive, Golaem or other crowd software packages.
- Feature Animation experience.