Must be aesthetically capable of creating painterly, stylized, procedural, and photorealistic textures in several specified styles.
Greater Los Angeles Area
Jun 09, 2022
The ideal candidate must have a critical eye with their own work, be able to follow reference material and concept art, be organized, have the ability to problem solve technically, be resourceful, creative, and work well with a team.
- Ability to understand and interpret Concept/Line work designs received from the Art Director.
- Ability to communicate CG materials through color designs.
- Knowledge of Subsurface Scattering, Light Absorption, Albedo, Iridescence, Roughness Reflectiveness, and other light-based Aesthetic concepts.
- Capability to ideate on Art Director instruction in the stylized and photoreal realms.
- Review storyboard and past designs to ensure continuity of color key materials.
- Ask appropriate questions of the Art Director necessary to understand & complete color designs.
- Make any changes or revisions and re-submit to Art Director for approval.
- Communicate with Supervisor and Production Coordinator regarding status of work and any problems that arise.
- Ability to digitally paint across several art styles as described above as well as design and document workflows for subordinate team members.
- Ability to create textures in Maya with Photoshop, Substance Painter and Mari.
- Develop Redshift Shaders and Substance Materials based on concepts and designs.
- Texture and develop looks for skin, hard surface, organic, characters, props, and sets for final use in Maya/Redshift.
- Set up Maya shaders/shader networks and use them to achieve desired looks.
- Review UV’s for texturing when needed.
- Communicate directly with the Art Director to iterate on CG looks.
- Ensure quality & style of show is achieved.
- Complete work on schedule.
- Must have a portfolio and DVD demo reel that demonstrates texture painting skills
- Minimum 2 years experience in the television, gaming, or feature film industries
- Excellent artistic, painting, and texturing skills
- Understanding of the Maya/Redshift Shading networks and capabilities
- Comprehension of UV layout and principles
- Ability to create high quality texture maps, including all supporting maps (bump, specular, transparency, etc)
- In-depth understanding of color theory and application
- Understanding of the CG Pipeline
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills. Ability to multitask effectively, prioritize competing demands, and follow through on details
- Must be flexible enough to deal with changing role requirements
- UV unwrapping skills a plus
- Mudbox/Zbrush knowledge a plus