We offer 13 internships at our central London Bureau. We are looking for CNN's future: people with fresh ideas, innovative viewpoints, a willingness to work hard, and a commitment to the highest standards of journalism.
London, United Kingdom
May 31, 2023
As one of the world's news leaders we are interested in creative and energetic people with diverse perspectives and talents. Our global team creates content consumed by millions of people every day, and with tectonic changes in the world, news and impactful storytelling are more important now than ever. A successful CNN intern is committed to quality journalism, has strong knowledge of international issues, a keen interest in the digital media landscape, and a sharp eye for the stories that spark conversation on a daily basis.
- The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work alongside a team of dedicated and experienced journalists, attend regular editorial meetings and participate in the editorial process.
- We offer 13 internships at our central London Bureau. We are looking for CNN's future: people with fresh ideas, innovative viewpoints, a willingness to work hard, and a commitment to the highest standards of journalism.
- The internships are designed for journalism graduates or candidates from a related field seeking a career in journalism.
- CNN advocates for diversity and welcomes candidates from all backgrounds, ethnicities, abilities and genders, and we are committed to creating both a workforce and content that are as diverse as the global audiences we serve.
Your Role Accountabilities…
- CNN’s award-winning digital news team is looking for an intern who is passionate about international news and current affairs and wants to pursue a career in digital journalism. The successful candidate will have a strong foundation in news writing, with an ability to spot a story that will resonate with CNN’s online audience — the largest in the world.
- The digital news intern will research and write news stories, and as the internship progresses, there will be opportunities to pitch and write distinctive features. They will also be expected to contribute to other key editorial functions, including CNN’s newsletters and daily live blogs. Proficiency in another language would be desirable, but not essential. A degree is not a must-have, but a passion for journalism is.
- Proficiency in another language would be desirable, but not essential. A degree is not a must-have, but a passion for journalism is.
- This intern will be assigned to the global digital programming team, responsible for the homepages, apps and alert platforms that showcase our journalism to CNN’s global audiences. There will be opportunities to sharpen our homepage headlines, write engaging push alerts and try your hand at editing the app.
- The digital video intern will assist producers, editors, and supervisors across the full gamut of video production, from the research and pitching stage right through to postproduction and all stages in between. We’re looking for curious, versatile, enthusiastic, and proactive candidates with an interest in both news and features content, long and short-form video, with a mixture of technical and editorial skills. They need to demonstrate both an ability to work under the pressure of news deadlines, along with the thoughtfulness and creativity required for longer-lead features projects. Previous interns have seen their own ideas published on the site within weeks of joining and have quickly established themselves as an invaluable player on the team.
- The Video Development Group is split into two primary units, focusing on daily turn news & feature content, as well as longer-lead series. This internship position will spend time with both units, creating an opportunity to learn a wide range of skills over the course of the program. The intern may assist with the following: research, pitching and attending brainstorms, assist producers, editors, and shooters at base and in the field, explore sound design and editing in Adobe Premiere.
CNNi Production Features
- The CNNi Productions team produces features content across TV, digital and social platforms. Digital interns will predominantly help with researching, pitching and writing articles, and creating social content. There will also be the opportunity to help Features TV producers with researching and planning stories and writing scripts. The ideal candidate will have a keen eye for a story, strong organisational skills, an ability to multi-task, and a good understanding of both TV and digital platforms.
- Our team is made up of visual journalists, data journalists, developers and designers, we combine storytelling, data and design to create compelling interactive features, dataviz, mapping and illustrations for news stories. We’re looking for a design intern who’s enthusiastic and proactive. You don’t need to know all the programs, but you’d be keen to learn how to visualise the news.
- Main responsibilities include: Researching and designing data visualizations for news stories. Creating wireframes of interactive websites and concepts for new ways of digital visual storytelling. Visualising those designs as working prototypes and creating posts and managing our CNN Creative Instagram account.
Qualifications & Experience…
- Strong writing and research skills.
- Some form of journalism experience or training, for example: Blog, vlogs, member of student paper, personal website with written examples, articles.
- Not currently studying full time.
- Must demonstrate knowledge of international news.
- Detail-orientated and the ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment.
Applications close Sunday 11th June 2023.