The primary role of a Character Layout Director at Floyd County Productions is to oversee, organize, execute and note the key character poses throughout each episode.
Greater Atlanta Area
Mar 06, 2023
The Character Layout Director also oversees the design, posing and placement of unanimated background characters (drones). This work may be completed by in house, and out of house teams, so the Character Layout Director must be very organized and a great communicator. The Character Layout Director reports to the Animation Director.
Production: Hit Monkey
Estimated start: March
Weekly salary range: $1240-1320
- Oversees the creation of key character layouts - characters drawn on model, in the show style, rendered in rough line art and placed in the correct scale and perspective of the background – for each shot requested per episode
- Oversees the creation, design, placement, and posing of unanimated background characters (drones) on a shot-by-shot basis
- Oversees the creation of style frames, or stylized moving stills that may be used in the episode.
- Noting character layouts from internal or external character layout teams
- Works with Animation Director to identify shots that require character layouts in order to be animated successfully, and completing them before animation begins
- Works with Art Direction to approve new character designs that arise in the layout drones process
- Works with the compositing team to make sure all layout drones are on track and ready for compositing.
- Works with Art Direction, Character Design, and Asset Manager to make sure the correct elements (characters, props, and designs) are reflected in the layout each shot
- Track continuity of 2D character or prop elements throughout the episode, and becoming a source for 2D animation and compositing questions
- Create roughs for complex animation sequences
- Create Layouts/compositions where the reference of scale and placement of characters in environments is necessary
- Create or contribute to each episodes drone comp
- Collaborate with Producers and department heads to identify and answer ambiguities in script and/or storyboards (for example specify of drinks, weapons, magazine covers, etc.)
- Responsible for checking and approving time in Minute7 for the layout team
Desired Skill Set & Experience::
- 1-2 years of management experience
- 2-3 years working as a layout artist, storyboard revisionist or designer
- Possesses general knowledge of the Harmony production pipeline and each department’s role within the pipeline
- Ability to interpret storyboards and provide alternate or easier solutions should production need to scale back
- Competent in Adobe Photoshop. Experience with Toon Boom Harmony and Clips Studio is a plus
- Awareness and in-depth knowledge of story, character, composition, and animation
- An in-depth understanding of anatomy and layout to create rough drawings and compositions to assist production departments
- Basic understanding of animation fundamentals -- such as arcs and timing -- in order to provide additional detail for complicated animation sequences or actions
- Excellent organizational and communication skills to lead internal and external teams.
- Must reside in GA or be willing to relocate.
- Must be able to provide authorization to work in the US.
- Must be able to provide proof of COVID vaccination and boosters.