Animal Logic – the studio that brought you Peter Rabbit – is looking for a Character FX Artists to join our team in Vancouver. The Character FX Artist is responsible for simulation of hair, fur, skin, cloth, muscles and feather effects on creatures and props in an animated film.
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Sep 28, 2023
Animal Logic – the studio that brought you Peter Rabbit – is looking for a Character FX Artists to join our team in Vancouver. The Character FX Artist is responsible for simulation of hair, fur, skin, cloth, muscles and feather effects on creatures and props in an animated film. They will maintain a deep understanding of the visual and creative requirements of the film that will allow them to create high quality effects.
This is a full-time, contract role that reports to the Character FX Supervisor and Artist Management.
- Develop hair, cloth, and fur simulations with direction from the Department Supervisor or Lead
- Develop intelligent Houdini character setups, that can be highly automated
- Develop techniques and Houdini Digital Assets to achieve and optimize approved looks with direction from Supervisor and/or Lead
- Develop an understanding for the department pipeline including all assets and tools, and their purpose
- Understand the processes of adjoining departments (Animation, Modelling, Surfacing and Rigging) and communicate with these departments as needed
- Become proficient with the department’s propriety tools
- Contribute creative feedback in reviews.
- At least 1+ years experience in Character FX on a feature animated film
- Bachelor’s degree in Digital Animation, 3D, Animation, Technical Arts or equivalent programs
- Past experience, demonstrated via reel, of feature animation quality hair, fur, cloth, and feather effects simulation
- Production experience using Houdini: Vellum & grooming tools
- Production experience using Houdini: SOPs/DOPs essential
- Production experience using Houdini: Vex and Python knowledge
- Understanding of muscle and skin simulation
- Understanding of anatomy and form in motion
- Ability to craft Non Photoreal FX, from a creative brief
- Ability to efficiently organize and prioritize assigned tasks
- Attention to design and artistic detail
- Ability to work solo as well as collaboratively within a team environment and when necessary to pass knowledge to other staff members
- Excellence in problem solving and balancing quick turnaround with long term quality and ability to meet deadlines with high quality output
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to efficiently organise and prioritise work across multiple areas
- Willing to learn, and contribute to the success of the team and project
- Ability to take direction and feedback and apply this to assets or shots moving forward; anticipating the supervisors and leads preference.
What you should include in your demo reel/portfolio:
- Complex and problem solving Character FX shot work
- Houdini simulations
- Any digital assets and setups you’ve contributed to, created or developed yourself
Salary range CAD$63 – 70k and extended medical benefits.