MSG Sphere Studios is looking for a Camera Technician & Timelapse Specialist to join a groundbreaking advanced camera and immersive capture department based in Los Angeles.
Pay range: 139,000.00 – 180,000.00 / year (Salary or Temporary rate is based on job qualifications and relevant work experience)
MSG Sphere Studios is looking for a Camera Technician & Timelapse Specialist to join a groundbreaking advanced camera and immersive capture department based in Los Angeles. We are forging a new category of motion picture imaging, advanced entertainment, and experiential storytelling, which is redefining the future of entertainment. As the creative content delivery team for the MSG Sphere, we are creating world-class content at an unprecedented scale for the largest LED screens ever made. This camera technician with expertise with timelapse and interval photography will be a critical component of a live-action field capture unit. This in-house team is specifically focused on capturing for the unique Sphere format. This role is both a timelapse/hyperlapse lead, as well as technical camera support and field camera operator supporting Sphere-specific capture tools. It will keep our broad palette of custom camera and camera support tools working reliably and identify areas for efficiency and optimization. Expect to work closely with MSG Capture, Production, and Post Production, Photogrammetry, and engineering teams on projects that extend beyond traditional camera systems.
What will you do?
• Onboard, oversee, and manage timelapse field operations to assure that footage coming back from remote locations meets Sphere’s needs.
• Support robust and reliable field deployment of various timelapse camera systems geared toward high resolution imaging
• Testing and operating proprietary camera/capture equipment
• Evaluate shot footage for sharpness, image fidelity, and overall image quality.
• Proactively manage the maintenance, troubleshooting and upgrades of camera systems
• Oversee management and data handoff for Sphere timelapse shoots, and smooth transition to data management team and I/O ingest, as well as logging and metadata, shot information, technical notes, and color profiles.
• Collaborate with Post and Production groups to ensure needs and imaging review is met in a timely fashion
• Stay on top of the latest developments in camera, timelapse and production software and technology to keep the department on the cutting edge.
• Guide and support on-site camera crews to assure correct workflow, systemization, camera settings, and data workflows
What do you need to succeed?
• Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field or equivalent experience
• 5+ years camera field work experience as a camera assistant or timelapse specialist
• Experience at the cutting edge of high resolution (4K+) timelapse and hyperlapse photography, motion control, and astrophotography
• Understanding of film and video production, digital workflows, cinematography, virtual reality, and/or post-production tools, production protocols preferred
• Be up-to-date on the latest developments and innovations in the field of timelapse, drones, aerial imaging
• Exceptional mechanical and problem solving skills
• Adaptable / flexible in high-stress environments
• Global and remote production experience is a plus
• Able to lift up to 50 lbs