A growing technology development and content production team inside Apple is looking for a Camera Operator with a passion for adventure, travel and documentary film making.
The lucky candidate will be working with cutting edge camera & audio systems to capture the world and humanity that surrounds us. This candidate will seek out great shots to help bring the content Producer and Director’s creative vision to a global and diverse audience.
A “normal day at the office” may include, for instance, working a high energy, multi-day trek through a metropolitan city alongside a full sized production crew, then immediately flying to a remote, off the beaten path, location with only the most basic capture gear in a backpack and a Director at their side. Each shoot is treated as a “zero downtime”, “failure-is-not-an-option” high stakes production where minutes equal dollars and there’s only one chance to capture amazing content.
If this sounds familiar and exciting, this could be the opportunity you’ve been working towards!
- 5+ years experience working as a camera operator in news (ENG/EPK/BTS), documentary, travel or actions sports productions.
- Hands-on experience working with high-end professional camera technologies (Sony, Panasonic, ARRI, Canon, RED, etc).
- Comfortability solving complex camera, audio and riggings issues in remote production environments.
- Experience working with and navigating the complexities of working with local government agencies, culturally sensitive and significant locations.
- Able to adapt to sudden and frequent changes in a directors camera placement choice.
- Proven track record of being able to anticipate where action/activity will unfold and find the best place to put the camera to capture it.
- Ability to trouble shoot camera issues in high tension, time sensitive moments.
- Able to lift 50 lbs to chest height while standing.
- Experience working in international, highly metropolitan, and underdeveloped locations as key camera dept. staff. (This role requires 50%+ travel both domestically & internationally. It will be physically demanding at all times.)
The Camera Operator will join a team of technology and production stakeholders tasked with producing a wide variety of projects and genres at Apple. The Camera Operator will draw upon their professional travel and production experience in documentary, world events or remote news production to innovate story telling in non-traditional ways.
With unprecedented access to world locations, capture technology and production staff, the Camera Operator will collaborate inclusively with the entire production value chain from show prep to wrap & debrief. The operators voice and expertise will be relied on and heard throughout the production process.
Additional duties will include aspects of production scouting, equipment prep, writing short technology performance feedback notes to the R&D teams and assisting in post event content quality assessments to help improve future shoots.
- Prior experience working with non-standard types of photography technology such as underwater, aerial and remote/extreme conditions.
- Experience navigating the complexities of working with local government agencies, culturally sensitive and significant locations.
- Experience working in and around biologically divers and highly protected environments.
- Comfortable and able to work in front of large crowds and by themselves.
- Experience shooting in crowded areas with MoVi & FreeFly type camera systems.
- Experience with camera rigging (Stills cameras, robo cams, car mounts, etc.)
- Familiarity with typical video and audio recording formats commonly found in the cinematic or live broadcast industry. (RAW, ProRes, EXR, BWF, etc.)
- Familiar with the usage or operation of production equipment typically found in cinematic or live broadcast environments.
- Working knowledge of media production tools such as Adobe Premiere, Movie Magic, StudioBinder, Resolve, etc.
- Must be available to work weekends, long hours or varying shifts when necessary to meet production and broadcast deadlines, 24/7, in all kinds of possible weather conditions.
- Must be comfortable traveling with equipment cases on commercial air carriers.
- Experience using organizational communication tools. (Google Docs, Keynote, PowerPoint, Omnigraffle, Vizio, Word, Pages, etc.)
- Extensive work with domestic and international rental equipment and shipping service providers. (PRG, Lens Rentals, Camera Works, NEP/Bexel, AbleCine, FedEx Custom Critical, FilmLogics, SOS, PacAir, Delta, etc.)
- This is a full time job as a part of a wholly owned Apple subsidiary.