CNN is looking for an Assignment Editor to join the DC Assignment Desk. Works with Bureau management to ensure that the Bureau is covering the day's news stories and manages resources to make it happen effectively. This is a project-based position through January 31, 2025
Live Event / On Location Services
Washington D.C. Metro Area
Oct 27, 2023
CNN is looking for an Assignment Editor to join the DC Assignment Desk.
Your New Role Accountabilities...
- Works with Bureau management to ensure that the Bureau is covering the day's news stories and manages resources to make it happen effectively.
- Monitor a variety of sources, including social media, wires and local news, and evaluate newsworthiness. Assign reporters, producers and crews to cover news stories.
- Ensure that stories make deadline/airtime making certain that reporters/producers are aware of and have all available elements. Handle live producing of reporter liveshots and events in DC.
- Research and write stories for the CNN.com. Monitor Bureau costs and keep tracking systems information updated with regards to using crews and editors. Work with show staffs and reporters on live shots and coverage of live events. Pitch stories for various CNN networks and platforms.
This is a project-based position through January 31, 2025
Qualifications and Experience...
- Three to five years' experience in news environment and previous newsroom experience.
- Strong general news judgment and editorial skills. Interest in politics.
- Understanding of CNN newsgathering.
- Strong logistical ability.
- Should have the ability to multi-task and make fast decisions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Candidate should be computer literate (knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, iNews, Mediasource, Showmangr a plus) and have a working knowledge of social media.
- The Washington, DC Bureau assignment desk is staffed 24 hours a day/365 days a year. An availability to work a flexible schedule is a must.
- Candidates should be prepared to work various shifts including overnights and weekends.
Day, Evening, Overnight