Studio City, CA KCBS/KCAL, one of the nation’s largest duopoly station groups, is seeking a forward-looking experienced studio maintenance engineer to become part of the KCBS/KCAL Engineering and Operations team.
Greater Los Angeles Area
Reporting directly to Engineering and Operations Management, this individual must have good general knowledge of common HD television station equipment. Specific knowledge of Grass Valley Stratus/K2 servers, AVID iNews, communications equipment (Bosch/RTS), robotic camera pedestals, Sony studio cameras, digital production switchers and core HD/IP routers a plus. IT knowledge is required with daily IT dept. interaction.
The successful candidate will be required to do all set-ups of incoming live sporting events, including communications with transmission provider and truck. Understanding of analog and digital test equipment to validate and troubleshoot audio and video signals is required. The ability to work independently at times and collaboratively with other engineering team members is critical. The position requires good communication, writing and documentation skills. Must have knowledge of and understand FCC rules and regulations as they apply to television station operations. Project and supervision/coordination skills are also required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Troubleshoots electronic equipment to a component (hardware/software) level, works with equipment maker to correct problems.
- Order all necessary required parts for repair of all equipment and communicates effectively with vendors, station management, and staff.
- Sets up events, NBA, NFL, and other high profile programming on a regular basis.
- Maintains regular and predictable attendance.
- Can be called to work on weekends and nights if needed for emergency situations.
- The ability to work over time if job schedules require it.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- 5-10 years of experience as a television broadcast engineer, or equivalent.
- Engineering degree or two-year technical school related to Radio and Television transmission systems preferred.