CNN’s Politics breaking writers are at the heart of our fast-paced news team. Our team of editors and writers jump on everything — from SCOTUS hearings to the White House and legislation on Capitol Hill.
Washington D.C. Metro Area
Aug 26, 2022
This team has an insatiable appetite for breaking news and fast-moving stories. They cover some of the biggest political stories of the day, getting us rolling with speed and accuracy.
This position is primarily a breaking news writer role, and the ideal candidate will:
- You’ll be writing politics breaking news pieces.
- You’ll pitch stories and collaborate with team members on daily news priorities.
- You’ll work quickly to familiarize yourself with the major players in any breaking story.
- 2+ years of digital storytelling experience and a college degree or equivalent.
- Willingness to work nights and weekends. Flexibility with your schedule, to account for major breaking news events, is vital to this role.
- Experience, comfort, and a thirst for breaking news stories is a must. This is not a features-writing, investigative or beat reporting role. An ideal candidate not only can juggle stories on a wide array of topics but thrives in such an environment.
- Sharp and fast writer with the ability to write a headline, and a sharp, precise paragraph that captures the essence of the story.
- Strong collaborator and communicator as we are a truly cross-functional team that works with nearly every desk and department across teams and bureaus.
- Ability to work quickly under pressure and collaborate closely with others is essential.
- Position is required to work in person at one of our locations in the United States. WarnerMedia requires anyone working in our workplaces in the U.S. to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions to this vaccine requirement are available to those entitled to reasonable accommodations for religious or medical reasons.