Cleveland Public Theatre (CPT) is hiring an Associate Technical Director. The ATD works with the TD to implement all technical aspects of productions, except costumes, for CPT’s season, consisting of 6-12 full productions, 2-4 new work development series, 2 multi-site special events, and other artistic projects.
Cleveland Public Theatre (CPT) is hiring an Associate Technical Director, which is a core part of the CPT staff and will make a meaningful contribution to life at CPT and its success. CPT will be accepting applications for this position until the role is filled.
Review of candidates will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled. To apply for the position, send an email to Raymond Bobgan, Executive Artistic Director, at email@example.com. Subject line should read: [LAST NAME], Associate Technical Director. The email should include two attachments: a resume, and a two-page cover letter describing your history, passion, why you are interested in this position, and what you have to offer. Candidates may be asked to provide additional materials after original application. No phone calls, please.
ASSOCIATE TECHNICAL DIRECTOR JOB DESCRIPTION
CPT is hiring an Associate Technical Director (ATD). This role reports to the Technical Director (TD). This role participates in leading the theatre and supporting the EAD in strategy and decision-making.
The ATD works with the TD to implement all technical aspects of productions, except costumes, for CPT’s season, consisting of 6-12 full productions, 2-4 new work development series, 2 multi-site special events, and other artistic projects. CPT programs in two theatres, various onsite studios, and occasionally produces work offsite in nontraditional spaces. The ATD is responsible for maintaining the scene shop and technical equipment. While candidates must have experience in theatrical set building, expertise in some of the following skills is also a plus: sound set up and lighting design/video design/implementation. The successful candidate will be collaborative, eager to learn new ways of working, service oriented, and highly self-motivated. CPT promotes a positive work environment and works to maintain a sustainable workload for technical staff and their teams.
Salary range is $45k to $55K commensurate with experience and skillset.
We care about the health and safety of our staff. All CPT staff members have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19. We require all new hires be fully vaccinated.
- Implementation of Technical Aspects for Productions
- Build and install sets for productions
- Hang, patch, and focus light plot for productions and series
- Install sound plot for productions and series
- Install and focus projectors as needed for productions and series
- Manage Scene Shop and Technical Equipment
- Maintain scene shop to meet CPT standards of safety, organization, and cleanliness
- Maintain, repair, and purchase technical equipment as needed
- Manage Technicians
- Manage one full time Technical Associate
- Recruit and retain skilled over-hire technicians for occasional, short-term work
- Supervise skilled and unskilled short-term technicians
- Train and respond to technician questions
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Ability to collaborate and be a team player
- Technical skills in set construction and at least one of the following areas:
- Sound technician
- Master electrician/lighting
- Video design implementation
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50lbs
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Excel
- Working knowledge of VectorWorks, QLab, and other industry standard programs would be beneficial and can be learned on the job.
- 1 years of full-time technical theatre work or equivalent as freelancer
- Or, a BA degree in technical theatre
QUALITIES AND PERSONALITY
- Attention to detail and accuracy while working on multiple projects and tasks
- Ability to work efficiently and calmly in a fast-paced environment
- Collaborative, eager to learn new ways of working, service oriented, and highly self-motivated
- Inspired to learn from and with leadership and to support leadership’s ongoing growth and learning
- Strong finisher