The Associate Designer works under the supervision of the Senior Manager, Art Director and/or Production Designer and helps deliver designs (environment, scenic, set dressing, props, costume, etc.) for varying Entertainment projects including, Live shows, Marquee & Shoulder Events, Seasonal Atmosphere, Character Photo Ops, Symphony Activations, and Placemaking efforts.
Greater Los Angeles Area
Jan 19, 2022
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works with the Production Designers and Art Directors developing concepts via sketches, storyboards, and photo studies to communicate preliminary design ideas.
- May be allocated smaller projects to realize all aspects of the project’s visuals with significant levels of input into the final ‘look’ of the costume, props and set design.
- Assembles drawing packages to relay design details to internal project teams for review/approval and to vendors for bidding and construction.
- Works with licensing team as needed on proper usage of IP imagery, adhering to all style guidelines and specific IP notes.
- Works with design team to produce seasonal overlays and designs as needed.
- Brings thoughtful, on-brand ideas to creative brainstorms and execution of assignments.
- Assists in monitoring onsite art installations during the construction progress, assisting in identifying and resolving any unexpected conditions and/or discrepancies between the construction, drawings, and design intent.
- Performs quality checks for ongoing creative maintenance of scenic elements.
- Collaborates with project team support staff, artists, and vendors in all phases of production.
- Assist in sourcing and choosing materials for final creative intent.
- Maintain an understanding of industry trends and apply that knowledge to design assignments and in field art direction.
- Maintains an up-to-date knowledge of the Universal Studios Hollywood Intellectual Properties (past, present & Licensed) across multiple media including: film, television, theater, parks and games.
- Assist Manager of Costumes with Design intent and costume design packets.
- Attend and participate in all required design team meetings and off site training/creative sessions.
- 3+ years of professional creative work experience preferred.
- Experience and knowledge of creative processes and best practices.
- Must have the ability to be flexible with changing work initiatives; coordinate multiple projects and multi-task efficiently within a fast paced and high-pressure environment while meeting strict deadlines.
- Solid hand and computer drawing and drafting skills (Adobe Photo Shop, Illustrator, InDesign, Sketch up, AutoCAD).
- Must be able to negotiate with vendors and work professionally with internal partners.
- Must be proficient in scenic applications used in construction of final scenic.
- Expected to be able to work well on own initiative.
- Will be expected to design and execute visuals within a set budget.
- Full-time work schedule with additional hours as needed during weekends, holidays, and nights as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in art administration or related field or, equivalent relevant work experience in Theatre, Performing Arts and/or Production.
- Individuals who are creative, experienced, enthusiastic, organized and self-motivated to work with our design team
- Individuals with a strong passion to drive high quality results and are passionate & driven to go above and beyond the job description.
- Creativity and the ability to consistently think outside of the box are musts.
- Needs to be an efficient team member who can easily switch between administrative and creative tasks.
- Solid background in managing design of projects from concept to completion.
- Solid understanding of themed entertainment and live production.
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple projects concurrently, with confidence to multi-task and delegate as required.
- Ability to drive results through strong leadership and development skills.
- Ability to identify and communicate creative solutions to challenges, and to maintain a consistent focus on priorities with persistent follow-through.
- Confidence to communicate across all lines of business, with all levels of management.
- Ability to deal well with ambiguity and constant change, working in fast-paced environments with accelerated production schedules.
- Must be comfortable working extra hours so that the projects are finished within the assigned timeframe.