The Associate Producer role is a critical editorial position for CNN. The Associate Producer is responsible for identifying, researching, and locating video clips and producing graphics for the two-hour, live program.
Live Event / On Location Services
Greater Atlanta Area
Feb 07, 2023
Candidates must have strong editorial judgment and be well versed in, and familiar with, issues related to national politics, foreign policy and national security. Working in a team environment, but with autonomy, the AP chooses the strongest video elements and soundbites and edits them quickly and in a way that effectively communicates stories in the news.
Your Role Accountabilities…
The AP will research and identify video clips, update video rundowns, cut soundbites and VO's, produce in-house and natural sound packages, order and create graphics and call up and roll video live to air via control-room video servers. The AP is also responsible for pitching both package and guest ideas for the program, and helping producers with research for guest segments. He/she must work closely with rights and clearances, affiliate desk and assignment desks to ensure best video is used and sourced properly.
Qualifications & Experience…
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field of study is preferred, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of three years of experience in network television or major-market news production. Newsroom & live control room experience preferred.
- The ability to accept change, remain flexible and handle multiple tasks simultaneously are keys to success in the position, as is the ability to ask for help when needed.
- Candidates need experience using editing software and must have an eye for identifying and selecting the strongest video elements.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with social media, as well as the ability to identify strong video and photo elements on social media during breaking news, is important.
- Candidates must be team-oriented, able to take direction from producers and control room personnel, capable of meeting deadlines and able to function calmly and effectively in high-pressure, breaking news situations.
- Candidates must be computer literate and have strong Internet research skills.
- Candidates must be able to work in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment, including in a live control room.