This person will perform and supervise day-to-day maintenance of the existing lighting design for each individual set, working with the Lighting Designer to update the design and paperwork as needed.
Grip / Lighting / Electric
Live Event / On Location Services
Tampa/St. Petersburg, Florida Area
Feb 01, 2023
The Associate Lighting Designer will act with full transparency and partnership with all other departments to achieve the desired result. This person will perform and supervise day-to-day maintenance of the existing lighting design for each individual set, working with the Lighting Designer to update the design and paperwork as needed.
Who We Are
Under the direction of the Lighting Designer, the Associate Lighting Designer implements and enhances the lighting of every studio and on location broadcast in support of the Broadcast Lighting Team. This individual will assist in the design process for any new installations or events with opportunities existing for leading smaller installations. The Associate Lighting Designer will need to make independent design choices when the Lighting Designer is absent in support of the business. They also must react quickly to critical situations that occur in live broadcast situations, thoroughly test any and all potential lighting equipment and evaluate for future implementation.
- Perform scheduled and unscheduled checks of set lighting to ensure that all fixtures and gel are in good working order.
- Program the lighting consoles, as necessary. Understand al operations and functions of the lighting console.
- Hang and focus any additional lighting equipment need for any new positions, specialty shows, or Todays Specials.
- Utilize existing software to track the movement or installation of lighting equipment.
- Maintain a clean and orderly work area and promote all safe use practices through the use of safety guidelines.
- Support Lighting designer in project development through research, paperwork, or demonstrations of equipment.
- Recommend and evaluate lighting equipment for studio usage.
- Manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Directly supervise all lighting installations for all sets.
- Meet with other departments as needed to plan, document, and implement overall design requirements.
- Maintain and document existing design standards and procedural memos for studio lighting.
- Maintain and document schedules and standards for existing design upkeep.
- Provide direction to other lighting technicians.
- Provide training in relevant set-up of equipment and systems to other members of the department.
- Proved necessary training to members of the studio production team.
- Keep all existing lighting plots up to date.
- Adhere to all HSN documented safety practices and provide department specific updates to the EHS team.
- Adhere to established industry best practices to ensure the highest level of safety.
What You Bring
- Most have knowledge of lighting systems, fixtures, video, and design.
- Knowledge of lighting and color theory as it applies to television, film, and photography.
- Knowledge of broadcast tools and other testing equipment (Vector scopes, Waveforms, and full spectrum meters.
- Drafting experience/ rendering. Vectorworks preferred.
- Highly organized and proactive
- Fast learner.
- Strong work ethic.
- Great communication skills
- Attention to detail.
- Advanced computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent oral and written skills.
- Emotionally intelligent.
- Must be able to travel daily, and overnight, domestically, and internationally.
Minimum Education: Degree in Television/ Film / Theatre lighting/ or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Three to five years of recent active lighting experience is required.
- Must be competent in reacting quickly to critical situations that occur in a live TV environment.
- Some experience working with on-location/ remote productions.
- Experience leading teams.