The Goodman Theatre is searching for an Assistant Prop Carpenter to join our prop department.
The Assistant Prop Carpenter will work collaboratively with the Properties Supervisor and other prop department members to construct, load-in, maintain and load-out props for the 8-show subscription season, including our annual production of A Christmas Carol, our annual New Stages Festival and more at the Goodman Theatre. This position can require some evening and weekend hours on an as needed basis.
- Under the supervision of the Props Supervisor and Props Carpenter, constructs, modifies, installs and maintains props for all Goodman Theatre Productions.
- Collaborates with Props Crew on all aspects of load-ins and load-outs of shows, assisting in transportation, delivery and pick up of rehearsal and show props
- Maintains safe and sanitary scene shop, prop shop and all prop storage areas
- Collaborates with Properties Supervisor and Prop Department with creative problem solving, construction methods, and implementation
- Be available for overtime and weekend hours on an as needed basis
- Be punctual, respectful, work collaboratively as a team member, and maintain a positive attitude.
- Uphold Goodman Theatre quality and construction standards
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- 3 years professional theatre experience in prop construction including woodworking, furniture construction and repairs and finish carpentry.
- Knowledge of theatrical procedures used in hand and set prop construction, tools, and materials
- Experience with metal work and welding
- Additional skills in molding and casting or photoshop are beneficial
- Ability to repeatedly lift, push or maneuver 50-70lbs, either alone or with assistance from others
- Ability to scale ladders and work in high places
- Must be licensed to drive props and scenery vans
This position is covered by our collective bargaining agreement with IATSE, Local 2. Goodman Theatre offers a benefits package including health, dental, and 401K with this position.