As an Assistant Producer of Insight, your primary duties will be to support our community-driven efforts via the production of Insight including our recorded and on-air segments and in all aspects of the production.
Typical tasks include researching and identifying topics for programs, producing and booking show segments, writing promos, scripts or descriptions for capradio.org, and working on projects in a team-oriented environment and in collaboration with the Managing Editor. You will be a significant contributor in structuring and ensuring the tether between our audience and community news.
We’re looking for someone who has a passion for the issues facing the communities CapRadio serves and regularly generates original ideas, identifies suitable topics for discussion, and conducts thorough research to assist the Managing Editor, Producer and Host in preparation for segments, guests and special broadcasts, including breaking news. This role requires solid news judgment for participation in all aspects of the editorial process and the production of Insight.
If this sounds like you, then you should apply for CapRadio’s Assistant Producer, Insight!
The ideal candidate will provide continuity and redundancy for show functions and they will be fully competent to meet the operational needs of the show and execution of the program.
We’re focused on building a diverse and inclusive organization and it takes all kinds of people so if you’re excited about this role but don't meet all of the qualifications listed below, we encourage you to apply.
- Participates in all aspects of production of the daily show with in-studio and virtual guests, as well as breaking news as directed by the Managing Editor and Producers
- In consultation with the Managing Editor, Producer and Host, researches and identifies topics for programs
- Collaborates with Managing Editor, Producer and Host to produce and book show segments independently and collectively on a regular basis
- Consults with Managing Editor, Producer and Host in selection and pre-interviewing guests
- Writes and produces promos, scripts and descriptions for the digital show page that meet industry and CapRadio standards
- Edits sound files
- Operates broadcast equipment to industry and CapRadio audio standards
- At the direction of the Managing Editor and Host, conducts regular and thorough research of area, state, national, and international issues to assist Host’s preparation for show segments
- Participates in News, Music and other Content meetings as needed
- A four-year degree in journalism or communications or equivalent experience required
- Broadcast journalism experience of at least one year preferred
- Familiarity with public radio news programming preferred
- Excellent news judgment and demonstrated ability to conceive and shape topics
- Excellent writing and storytelling skills
- Computer literate, including familiarity with Google Docs, Slack, Zoom, Adobe Audition, Microsoft Windows operating system and Microsoft Office. Understanding of social media and digital platforms
- Detail-oriented and able to meet daily deadlines, often under stressful conditions, and deal effectively with multiple priorities
- Ability to work independently, as well as collaborate with others in a fast-moving team environment
- Commitment to company values: able to create high quality programming while demonstrating respect for all colleagues, promote inclusion and an environment free of harassment and discrimination
- Valid California driver’s license and evidence of insurability
CapRadio has a mandatory vaccination policy for Covid-19. Reasonable accommodation is available for those with a medical condition, disability, or religious belief that prevents them from being vaccinated.
This role is deemed essential and will require an on-site presence at least 90% of the time. You must be able to commute to our Sacramento, CA office.
The annual compensation for this role is $44,000 - $53,299. CapRadio also offers:
- Competitive medical, dental, vision, chiropractic, and acupuncture insurance
- Retirement plan with employer matching
- Paid holidays
- Flexible Vacation
- two weeks of flexible, accruable paid time-off
- Paid sick leave
- Long-term disability and group life insurance
- Flexible spending plan for health and dependent care