WGBA, the E.W. Scripps NBC affiliate in Green Bay, WI is looking for an experienced and aggressive Assistant News Director to join our team.
Green Bay, Wisconsin Area
Nov 11, 2022
The Assistant News Director must be a proven newsroom leader who knows how to win breaking news and weather coverage on all platforms, maintain a strong sense of urgency with our newscast production and newsroom culture, and knows how to balance serious journalism with lighter moments critical to the success of our newscasts. The successful candidate must have high energy, with an innovative mind and truly be able to see the big picture.
This position will be responsible for the planning and execution of investigative and real-time in-depth news content across all platforms.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Assist News Director with supervisory responsibility for all news broadcasts and online content.
- Involved in hiring and performance management of direct reports.
- Assist News Director in the on-going evaluation of personnel.
- Create tactics and strategies to increase demos performance in key target areas for multiple platforms.
- Implement and have working knowledge of federal, state and local laws impacting operations.
- Ability to manage cross platform content creation and distribution.
- Write copy and edit scripts for air and digital platforms.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in posting content to station websites.
- Schedule anchors and multi-media journalists.
- Lead coverage planning of major events, i. e. elections, special events.
- Proactively communicate news initiatives across departments.
- Evaluate workflow efficiencies.
- Assist News Director in managing the budgetary aspects of newsroom operations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- College degree in related field or equivalent experience preferred.
- At least 2 years supervisory experience preferred.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING:
- Advanced oral and written communication skills.
- Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office.
- Broad understanding of newsroom operations and equipment.
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast paced environment.