Reporting to our Senior Technical Directors and the Managers, Video Commerce Operations, the Assistant Director will coordinate camera, AD, graphics, and audio effects to achieve designated production goals.
Audio / Music / Sound
Live Event / On Location Services
Apr 26, 2023
Who We Are
Assistant Directors perform responsibilities of AD, Graphics and Audio Operator. While directing, the Assistant Director has the authority to select the camera shots and pace the live show in partnership with the Line Producer and Show Host. The Assistant Director directs the control room staff and backstage crew to build the elements of the live production. The Assistant Director will be a positive and contributing team member while working to increase technical skills, gain business knowledge, and generate ideas.
- You will operate support equipment during the live broadcast including Reservoir image store & recall, graphics, audio and camera (manual and robotic)
- You will learn to direct technically challenging shows with working knowledge of video switcher operation while simultaneously operating robotic cameras.
- You will technically create show by coordinating picture, graphics, and sound for the live production.
- You will prepare for shows by referencing pals, blueprints and production guides.
- You will check production elements including video clips, graphic elements, blocking schemes and rundowns in preparation for live show.
- You will work extensively via headsets with Line Producers, Show Hosts, and Control Room/Backstage team members to manage the technical direction of the show.
What You Bring
- An undergraduate degree in Television Production, Media, Communications or a related field, or an equivalent combination of training and experience is required.
- 3+ years live television production experience is required. Directing/technical directing experience preferred.
- Hands-on working knowledge of broadcasting equipment including audio boards, character generators, servers, digital video effects and camera robotics required.
- Hands-on working knowledge of broadcasting equipment including audio boards, graphics generators, image store/recall and camera robotics required, including working knowledge of video switcher operation
- Knowledge of QVC live production operations
- An understanding of the QXH business needs and how the Assistant Director role can further these goals
- Must be able to shoulder and operate handheld camera (approx. 20-30 lbs.) and physically move/control heavy jib and studio cameras.
- Must have availability to work various shifts. Position requires flexible hours.