Are you a journalist who thrives on chasing the story and the pursuit of the truth? KSDK 5 On Your Side, TEGNA's NBC affiliate in St. Louis, is recruiting a Digital Desk Producer who specializes in assignment editing.
Greater St. Louis Area
Aug 01, 2023
Are you a journalist who thrives on chasing the story and the pursuit of the truth? KSDK 5 On Your Side, TEGNA's NBC affiliate in St. Louis, is recruiting a Digital Desk Producer who specializes in assignment editing. This person is curious about the world and has a vision for what local news can and should be on digital, social, streaming and audio platforms. The ideal candidate will have an "audience first" approach to producing and distributing quality stories. This person also has a solid news judgement, creative writing skills and strong copy-editing skills.
Digital Desk Producers are leaders in our newsroom who urgently and aggressively cover breaking stories. This position is for a person who is passionate about local news and connecting people. This person has a track record of presenting hard news with the balance of many voices and perspectives. This person is a team player, understands a culture of feedback and wants to excel together.
This person will join a combined assignment desk and digital team that manages newsroom assignments and oversees the quality of 5 On Your Side initiatives across all platforms. The KSDK newsroom is proudly “one content team” with broadcast and digital sharing equal stage. We believe in constant learning, but the ideal candidate will walk in with the basics of writing substantial articles and engaging headlines, optimized for search.
- Produce audience first, engaging content through digital articles, videos, photo galleries, social media, push alerts, live streams and interactive elements
- Focus on accuracy and balance in articles and social content through editing and working with reporters.
- Urgently and aggressively report news as it happens
- Update published content as stories develop
- Manage all KSDK digital, social, audio and streaming accounts including launching live streams, managing homepage layout and more
- Pitch stories in editorial meetings and use data to inform story decisions
- Monitor social media for local breaking news, find interesting stories, track trends and report findings to newsroom
- Review and respond to news releases, news tips, emails, user generated content and social media messages to identify unique, local and engaging content.
- Optimize information to be found with search engines.
- Work with digital managers, newsroom leaders and all producers to coordinate the development and distribution of content across all editorial platforms.
- Following news reporting best practices and ethical standards such as make calls, get pictures or video to support a story, research and confirm information with multiple sources.
- Work with anchors and reporters to produce and publish content and train others on digital best practices.
- Collaborate with other TEGNA stations, NBC affiliates and other partners to search trending content and publish compelling stories, photos and video from our corporate network across web, mobile and social media platforms.
- BA/BS in journalism, communications or related field
- Understanding the tenants of professional journalism
- 2-5 years of experience as an assignment editor or digital producer preferred
- Able to demonstrate strong writing and headline skills.
- Organizational skills and the ability to work under deadlines.
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events.
- Experience with content management systems
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including weekends, nights and holiday shifts.
- Strong understanding of digital and social media analytics and metrics
- Strong social media skills, including an active news hound presence on Twitter and Facebook
- Basic image and video editing skills preferred.
- Knowledge of AP Style preferred
- Knowledge of Chartbeat, Google Analytics, CrowdTangle and/or ENPS, a plus
- Familiarity with St Louis or a reason to relocate here will make your application stand out. Please mention in your cover letter!
- Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
- Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
- Physical Demands Set: Light work: Involves sitting most of the time, walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.