As a member of our news gathering team, you will be tasked to seek, gather and highlight weather and climate content for multiple platforms across the Weather Group.
Greater Atlanta Area
The position requires you to work closely with network and social content managers/producers, possess solid editorial judgment, and have excellent communication and social media newsgathering skills. The assignment editor not only gathers editorial and video content around extreme weather, but also identifies climate and environmental story angles and how to best execute them across all platforms. The candidate will review and select appropriate content provided by news agencies and stringers. The assignment editor must be a forward-thinker and a self-starter. A minimum of three years experience with a news organization is essential. Inspired by our mission. We want to hear from you.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Generate compelling weather and climate-related story ideas, to include gathering and researching story ideas.
- Collaborate with producers and meteorologists
- Assign and manage logistics of field reporters and crews
- Monitor live news feeds and wires
- Identify and secure user-generated content
- Gather accurate information from multiple agencies and communicate available material to editorial staff
Education, Experience, Skills, Certification Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism.
- Five years experience (with a minimum of 3 years as an Assignment Editor) at a medium/large market television station, or network.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Bilingual, fluent in Spanish (read and write)
- Able to work in a multicultural environment
- Knowledge about Hispanic audience interests, trends, and story angles.
- Knowledge on social media trends in the U.S. Hispanic & Latin America