ESPN Creative Studio is looking for an Art Director to join it’s award-winning Visual Storytelling team. You will be responsible for partnering with editorial and visual teams to create innovative interactive stories.
ESPN Creative Studio is looking for an Art Director to join it’s award-winning Visual Storytelling team. You will be responsible for partnering with editorial and visual teams to create innovative interactive stories. All candidates must provide a portfolio that demonstrate strong typography, layout, UX and storytelling that is mobile-first. Demonstrating experience with articulating their vision and directing it with clever and intuitive inclusion of audio, video, still images and text. A critical thinker who can communicate and work well with a broad range of collaborators will thrive. They must resolve employee conflicts, conduct quarterly performance reviews, timesheet reconciliation, training and staff development, enforcement of all departmental SOP’s and company policies and initiatives.
The Visual Storytelling division of ESPN Creative Studio is a team of visual journalists, photo editors, developers, designers, concept artists and animators whose work reaches across all platforms at ESPN.
We are responsible for editorial design and photography on the ESPN website and app, including custom microsites, special projects, branding, illustration, and data visualization. We also concept, design, and direct television graphics for ESPN studio shows and live events as well as key art for ESPN+ original content and creative oversight for Andscape.
- Strong Art Director who relishes pushing oneself and the Creative team beyond the expected.
- A passion in narrative and visual storytelling, in journalism, and in the meda industry.
- Create wireframes and prototypes with an emphasis on smart UX sensibility.
- Strong designer and visual journalist who is passionate about bringing ideas to life on digital.
- Collaborate with creative leads on content creation from concept to execution – pitching new stories as well as iterating on existing ones.
- An enthusiastic brainstormer who arrives to creative conversations with ideas and solutions.
- Skillful in distilling complex ideas into engaging, unique and delightful storytelling.
- Implement new strategies that improve and optimize existing workflows.
- Push for creative excellence and innovation while balancing the priorities of the business.
- Creative problem solver that approaches each obstacle with optimism and enthusiasm.
- Prepare and present creative to internal and external stakeholders.
- Adhere to established team workflows and processes.
- Track record of assigning art commissions, researching and maintaining an inclusive network of diverse visual talent for digital projects.
- Build, lead and inspire a talented team of digital designers.
- Hold regular 1:1s with your team members to foster an environment of growth and communication.
- Implement training programs to improve efficiency and competency of the operating staff.
- 10+ years of professional experience working within a creative studio or media organization.
- In-depth understanding of UX/UI, mobile-first responsive design and other web standards.
- Understanding of and curiosity around shifting industry trends.
- A collaborative attitude and a willingness to hear all perspectives.
- Strong grasp of typography, composition, animation, and motion theory.
- Fluent with Adobe Creative Suite and Figma.
- Proven project management skills with ability to prioritize and meet multiple deadlines.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Reliable work-from-home setup with strong internet connection.
- A portfolio demonstrating strong digital design work, a solid understanding of layout, typography and storytelling techniques, and strong UX.
- Knowledge of AfterEffects and/or Cinema 4D.
High School Diploma or Equivalent
The hiring range for this position in Los Angles, California is $124,227 to $155,284 per year and in New York, New York is $124,284 to $155,284 per year.