Are you a recent graduate looking to get your foot in the door of the exciting world of VFX, but not sure where to start? ILM’s Jedi Academy may be just the thing for you!
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Mar 13, 2023
Offered as an eight-week placement to recent graduates or artists with one to two years of VFX experience, the Jedi Academy provides the opportunity for graduates to learn from highly skilled Animation Supervisors and Senior artists.
In this paid experience, successful applicants will be placed into the Animation department and will provide entry-level assistance to the team while gaining experience in a fast-paced and highly collaborative live production environment through training, mentorship, and the development of real shot-work.
To top it off, graduates who successfully complete the Jedi Academy may be offered a Junior Artist position within the studio. ILM’s Animation department covers a wide range of animation work including character, creature and VFX animation, using both proprietary ILM tools and mainstream software.
Come join The Force and contribute to some of the biggest movies and television series in the world!
We are looking for artists who reflect the creative talent and passion for great filmmaking that defines ILM.
What You’ll Do
- Jedi Academy artists will work closely with more senior artists and may be tasked to do the following:
- Character performance and creature animation for CG feature film and VFX projects
- Work with vocal takes and dialogue scenes
- Prepare and record video references
- Facial animation using modern facial rigs
- Cameras, staging and composition
- Perform in a CG feature and VFX environment
- ILM proprietary tools and pipeline
- Complete work within the timeframe bid
- Strengthen professional habits, including best practices for presenting work in dailies, working as a team, and communicating effectively
- Gain knowledge and appreciation of ILM’s culture and history
- Unfortunately, we are unable to provide assistance for relocation, housing, transportation, or work authorization for the Jedi Academy. Applicants must be Canadian citizens or hold Canadian Permanent Resident status.
- Applicants must also have graduated from a relevant VFX course or program within the last 12 months or have one to two years of VFX experience.
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Graphics, Fine Arts, Design or Photography or related OR experience working in the industry
- A basic understanding of animation methods and approaches
- Great collaborators, curious learners with a blend of creative and storytelling skills
- Reel demonstrating evidence of your work in animation, and a general understanding of CG. You may have further education in VFX, digital media or animation, but it is not a prerequisite
- Strong personal work that represents artist skills and interest in VFX
- Strong teamwork, excellent communication and interdisciplinary thinking
- Interest in and ability to quickly pick up new software
- Entry-level Maya knowledge. Comparable software experience considered.
Nice to have:
o Motion Capture data experience
o Knowledge of Linux, Houdini
o Coding/Scripting knowledge (Python, Mel) a plus